Thread: CC3/CD3 Questions about scaling and city maps

Question CC3/CD3 Questions about scaling and city maps

Hello all!

I am still familiarizing myself with the use of the CC3 and its add ons. There is one question that I have, which is probably uber simple, but I am not sure how to address it.

When starting a new map, how do you decide the size of the map? ie 500' x 500 or some such? Do you need to know the scale of your map beforehand, and then figure out the dimensions? Specifically I am trying to create a city map for a friend, who sketched it out already on graph paper. Gives me a chance to play and learn the program with a purpose.

Also, its a beach front town, how do I put the beach in there?

Thanks for all your help!
    Sheilyn

Good question about the size of the map. I don't think it really matters though, as CC3 is a CAD program. Meaning objects will scale and you can export maps at larger dimensions without quality loss.

I always start my city maps at the default 1000 x 800 pixels. If you want a small village you can place larger objects and you will run out of room quickly. Or if you want a large city, make the objects smaller and you will have a lot more room. Meaning I might place a size 5 tree in the village map, but place a size 1 tree in the city map.

Check out my city tutorials if you would like (link is in my signature). It will also explain how to add dirt patches (which can also be used to create a beach).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Question A few more questions

Thank you for the reply. Its good to know that there wasn't an obvious answer to my question, beyond that it is a CAD program. This is my first time working with one of these, so I might not know the basics.

I have definitely been looking over your tutorials for help. Another question that I had is which features to start with, roads, beaches, etc? Does it really matter, or is it just trial and error? Personally, I can rack up a lot of trial and error.

Also is there any use for the grid function, like there is for doing dungeons and such? I have tried to set it up, as some of the map is set in blocks, but I cant seem to manage to get the grid to show up in any useful way.

Again, thanks for ALL the help. You all seem to have A LOT of patience.

Sheilyn

I always start by adding water (rivers, lakes and the sea) to get some general contours. Then I lay down the first road, the road near which the village/town/city originally started. I will then have a starting point and will add houses, roads and walls where needed. It's the same process as in my tutorials. Once you get the hang of CC3 you will understand it won't really matter if you forgot certain features. You can always add extra water later for example or remove some water. Although it's generally best to get the important land features in from the start.

I never use the grid in my city maps although it could be of some use there of course. I did use the grid in my "dungeon" maps (I mapped three levels of a keep in one of my cities: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3000) mostly as eye candy. Most of the time people use a grid because they want to print a map and use it as a board to play with.

If you have anymore questions be sure to post them on the forum. Also post your creations if you can. You can get some criticism then and learn from it, as I did with the dozens of maps I posted on this forum (taking pointers from the kind people here I really improved the quality of my work).
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 03-16-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Grandwarf, the advice you are giving is not accurate. Yes CC3 is a CAD program and that is why it is easy to change the scale of objects and print at different sizes without the lost of resolution.

What you have not grasped is that CC3 does not deal in pixel. The default size of 1000 by 800 is in feet not pixels. The way you are going about drawing maps is ass backwards to how CC3 is designed to be used. The best way to use CC3 or any other CAD base programes is to draw the objects in a 1 to 1 scale. You want a house that is 20 ' by 30', you draw a house that is 20' by 30'. It's much easier to do it this way than to try and ajust the size to a different scale. Symbols for CD3 and DD3 are scale to match the real dimentions of objects on a 1 to 1 scale. It is easier to figure out ahead of time the amount of space you need to draw your map then to constantly rescale the symbols to fit on the map. This way you can use CC3 to its full potential. The way you are going about it now you will make your life more complicated if you want to add a grid or to print to a specific scale like 1" equals 5'. In the long run it's better to learn to do things right in the first place than to have to correct bad habits affter they have set in.

It just goes to show the true power of CC3 if you can use it incorectly and still get some good looking maps.

I apologize if come off a bit harsh, I just wanted to correct what was an obvious mistake on your part.
    "The map is not the territory. The man is not the file."
    -Kevin Usher

Tekrat, I have grasped the fact CC3 does not deal in pixels (although I must admit it only came to me fully recently, probably after I finished my tutorials). As you can see by this statement:

I always start my city maps at the default 1000 x 800 pixels. If you want a small village you can place larger objects and you will run out of room quickly. Or if you want a large city, make the objects smaller and you will have a lot more room. Meaning I might place a size 5 tree in the village map, but place a size 1 tree in the city map.
    I made the error of adding "pixels" to the dimensions yes, my fault. But it's hard not to add that as I am used to it in resolutions. As you can see I am talking about a size 1 or size 5 tree a bit later and I certainly don't mean pixels there! (a 1 pixel tree would be... ehh, interesting).

And yes, you do come a bit of harsh with bold statements like: "I just wanted to correct what was an obvious mistake on your part." By making statements like that you will make it harder for people like me to try and help other people. A few more posts like that from you and I certainly won't bother helping other people anymore
    I am aware of the fact I don't fully understand CC3 yet and your statements certainly don't grow my confidence.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 03-17-2009 at 07:48 AM.

Gandwarf, thanks for all the help and please do not stop helping others out. I have gone through parts 1 through 7 of your tutorial and have learned quite a lot with just that. So much so that I am starting to add things on my own, using your tips. I will try and post the map that I made later on today.

As to the grid, the map that I am making is to be part of a game and so there will be a need for it to be printed and such, for use as a battlemap of sorts. I am also thinking of helping to incorporate the buildings as part of the overall game as well, for when the action moves inside. Along the line of what you stated, "dungeon" maps.

My apologies if my questions have caused a commotion. But I do appreciate all the help!

Sheilyn

Quote Originally Posted by sheilyn View Post
    My apologies if my questions have caused a commotion. But I do appreciate all the help!
    They haven't, trust me.

And do please post your creations when you feel confident enough to show them!