Thread: CC3: setting up metric?

Question CC3: setting up metric?

HI, I have a stupid newbie question, but I can't find any answer on Google or CC3's help... drives me crazy.

So I'm using CC3 for my first overland map, creating a new world. How do I set up metrics?

I don't want an imperial system, but a metric one. I was able to set up a CC "unit" as a kilometer (I think I was), but various little things like the scale symbol still shows up as miles.

Another one, linked to that. When CC3 asks for the size of the new map (like 1000'×800' by default), does it matter since it's mostly vectors? If I create the Earth, do I really need to set that up as 22500×22600?

I'm sure I've missed something simple in the manual, but right now it's not helpful at all

An example of scaling issue: I created a new overland map, with a size of 5000×4000 or something. Then I use the landmass tool, default (polygon fractal). But when I zoom in on a coast (and not even a large zoom), the fractal isn't a fractal anymore, it's just a regular polygon, harsh and very much unnatural.

Since I want to create a whole world (or at least, a small continent), and be able later to zoom in specific region or kingdom or whatever, that doesn't work.

I'm probably messing something with metric and/or scaling, but I can't find what...

I'd need CC3 in front of me to give a really accurate description. For now, under the File menu is a map properties option. Inside here is a setting for changing the units for the map. Alternatively, you could always start the map with a metric template.

The scale symbol is just that, a symbol or drawing. If you want to use a non-metric scale bar, explode the symbol and change the "miles" to "kilometres". The scaling in CC3 is arbitrary, it's basically whatever you set it to.

With the zooming in. Use the fractal tool to draw your coast. When you zoom in on the continent, split the section off in to a separate map and then re-fractalise the coastline. Don't do this too much in the large map as the redraw will get slower.
    Last edited by Valarian; 03-20-2009 at 05:03 AM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Yes, it's Drawing Properties, then Units. I've looked at that per the manual, but it's very unclear. I put up a Custom settings for kilometers, with 39370.0787 inches per unit, but the distance tool doesn't seem to take it into account.

Thanks for the scale symbol. But if I arbitrary change the miles text into kilometers, it won't resize by itself. Once printed, the scale will be off when I need to measure distances with a ruler.

Ok, I've looked at the fractalise tool, I think I can get what I need if the software would stop crashing... thanks, I didn't knew there was one.

Is there a way to set the basic tools (river, landmasses, etc.) with a fractalization setting, so I don't have to re-fractalize every object I put on my map?
    Edit: nevermind that last question, found it myself
    Last edited by Blacky; 03-20-2009 at 05:31 AM.

The scale in CC3 is arbitrary. If you set a scale of 1 unit = 1 mile and then change it to 1 unit = 1 km, then your map will be in kilometres rather than miles. You'll have reduced all of the measures on the map as you'll have redefined the base units. CC3 measurements are measured in "units". It's the drawing properties that make these a real world value. When you measure stuff with the ruler, it multiplies the number of units by the value given in the properties (IIRC).
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Yep, that is pretty much it in a nutshell Valarian.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave