Thread: Three-story mansion

Guild Apprentice

Post Three-story mansion

My first floor plan, it's the mansion my mid-level D&D players recently bought. As owning a building makes encounters inside it unavoidable, I decided to make floor plans for it.

However, I am way too square and have little imagination, so I chickened out and stole plans from the internet. I redrew them (using Microsoft Word as my sole drawing tool) and labeled them (in French, mind you) and got this result.

That was about one year ago, when I got a high-def TV and started using, again, Word, but as a dedicate game table too. I'd have the floor plans (and other maps) in Word and moved letters representing creatures, essentially having rogue-like graphics.

But then I found Gametable and got ambitious. I used MapX to make actual color maps (with basic texturing!) and started experimenting with shadows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manoir1.png 
Views:	6307 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	11561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manoir2.png 
Views:	6411 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	11562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manoir3.png 
Views:	1124 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	11563  

Guild Apprentice

(oops, seems I attached floor 2 first)

Recently, though, I dicovered the almighty Maptool and made ship deck plans for it (settling for drop shadows for rotation consistency, among other reasons) and working on ground tiles and buildings.

I also need floor plans, so why not practice by taking the old mansion for a spin?

The following maps are a direct conversion of the floor plans of my first post in 64-pixel tiles. I used free textures found on the internet and drew everything in Photoshop Elements. Each floor is in PNG and take about 1 MB. They're WIP but quite useable.

The mansion contains no furniture, but I'm working on it. Good drop-shadow furniture is really hard to find, so I might have to make everything myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Étage 1.png 
Views:	1082 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	11564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Étage 2.png 
Views:	622 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	11565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Étage 3.png 
Views:	487 
Size:	397.1 KB 
ID:	11566  
    Last edited by Ceraus; 03-21-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Check the Dundjinni user creation forums for furniture, tons of good stuff there.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the tip! That's a lot of things I won't have to draw myself.

It's a shame most of the objects have directional shadows or weird perspective... yet a fraction of them are fine. A fraction of a huge number, luckily!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceraus View Post
    Thanks for the tip! That's a lot of things I won't have to draw myself.

It's a shame most of the objects have directional shadows or weird perspective... yet a fraction of them are fine. A fraction of a huge number, luckily!
    Yeah it takes sometime to go through them, but there are some real choice guys on the boards with great talent. I always head back there for stuff.

Also, these guys are really good.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
    ... they are. Wow.

Guild Apprentice

I've long stopped using Word, ravells. But as I'm starting to realize the mapping shortcomings of Photoshop Elements, I just might try playing with vectors. I'll keep Inkscape in mind.

I just ran across this looking for maps for my modern campaign and am wondering if there's an updated version since 2009? It's a really solid start!