Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Islands of Hatlor

Wip Islands of Hatlor

Hey guys,

Before I post it in the finished section, I wanted to post it here because I'm not entirely sure about a couple of things.

1) The mountains.
    2) The rivers.
    3) The background.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oude-Kaart-WIP-2.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	11582  
    Last edited by Chaosorcerer; 03-22-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    All of my work is protected by Creative Commons Licences except when noticed otherwise somewhere in the thread. Click here to see what that means.

Hi Chaos, the rivers and the background look fine to me ( I really like the background texture). I would make the mountains less black, perhaps and maybe try some variation with the mountain symbol. I'm not sure if it's just me, or whether there's something not quite right with the mountains.

I know, that's what I thought. I only couldn't figure out what was wrong.
    All of my work is protected by Creative Commons Licences except when noticed otherwise somewhere in the thread. Click here to see what that means.

It's a nice, crispy map.
    I agree with Ravells on the mountains. Also, you might want to do something with the "Islands of Hatlor" label. I am guessing it's the title? You could maybe try and make it stand out more (for example: adding an effect to it or making it part of the map border). It's looking almost the same as the sea labels.

I very much like the background texture you picked for the map by the way.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Nice work! Like the others have said, you might want to have some variations in the mountain symbols, they are looking a little uniform. Also, are there no forests on this island, or are they not relevant to what you will use this map for?

I've been looking into labelling myself the past days, and looking at your map I am not sure what the name of the main island is (seeing that the map is labelled Islands (plural) of Hatlor, I assume this is the name of the main island combined with Mos'Ari), but is the main island itself called Hatlor?

Additionally, should you so desire, you could label the strait between Mos'Ari and the main island, and the bay near the cities of Ainai and Radir, the bay near the cities of Kard and Engab, and the lake near the city of Iausk.

All in all, a very nice, clean map. Good work!
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well it looks like I'm with everybody else...

1) Background is fine, reminds of an old scratched up desk or table
    2) Rivers looked OK to me - no obvious river violations
    3) Mountains - they're OK, just a bit repetitive - try to add a few more different symbols and vary the size a bit more.
    4) Labeling - To me its OK. I probably would've went for something a bit fancier. But labeling to me is always somewhat more of a preference thing, unless of course you have something like red letters on a green background (or vice-versa).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks fresh off the press...I'd make it look old with some brown stains and use a thicker line around the continent. Pretty nice otherwise.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I really like it. The look is what I'm trying to attain with my maps. What font are you using for this? I would like to use a similar font for my maps.

Ok,

I've now changed the mountain brush, and labelled it correctly. I hope I've used the right brush, but I think its better than the one I used before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oude-Kaart-WIP-4.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	11618  
    Last edited by Chaosorcerer; 03-23-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Mmmmm don't know, the new mountain symbols are lovely to be sure, but they still don't somehow 'fit' to my eye...it's like their floating above the map. Would you mind reducing the opacity of the mountain layer to about 60% and reposting? I think that may help, but until I see it, I won't know

:Edit: Wait! I think I have it. The political borders don't really bear any relation to the mountain ranges (which you would expect them to). Try running the mountain ranges along the political borders...

Then again, maybe it's just me thinking that handdrawn mountain symbols just jar too much with a modern atlas style map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast