Thread: War front

Guild Apprentice

Post War front

This map shows an area in
    - this world: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...5076#post55076
    - the region of Ildust: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...5077#post55077

and contains
    - the city of Onust and its catacombs: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?p=55072
    - which contains this mansion: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...5067#post55067

After first designing a world and detailing the campaign region in crayon, I realized I would need even more detail if I really wanted to hook my players. Luckily, they would hang around the war front for the coming real-time years (I was mostly right), so I could zoom in on a small area that's about in the middle of my map of Ildust.

I wasn't pleased by that map, though, and I knew that there's no way Google Maps would provide me enough detail since I was zooming way too close. I also knew that the players would receive their zoomed-in map from the military, so I figured it should be hand-drawn and clear rather than accurate.

Just for kicks, I'm including the tile-based Gametable interpretation of the map. I had actually completed about 20 times the surface of the part I'm attaching, but most other areas had less detail and were not representative. I created all tiles myself, but with Maptool being less restraining (and my Photoshop skills having improved), I'll probably start from scratch again. For, like, the fifth time?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map D&D.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	11603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front (Gametable).png 
Views:	103 
Size:	795.7 KB 
ID:	11605  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love the hand-drawn one...it has a certain charm to it. Don't take this the wrong way but it looks cute. I'd like to see more of this and would encourage you to do more and go further with it Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

The "gametable" map looks like an 8-bit or 16-bit representation from a classic console rpg. It's got a pretty cool vibe to it. How'd you do this? (I'm not familiar with Gametable, so assume I'm completely ignorant if you decide to answer that question.)
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

Pretty late on this reply (internet trouble), but I've joined the whole tileset to this post.

Gametable... is simply a virtual game table. Images put in the right folder are available for drag-and-drop on a table (optionally with an infinite fixed 64-pixel square grid).

Unfortunately, Gametable has memory issues and crashes on start if it has more than about 10 MB of images. So I devised a tileset optimized against these limitations.

All tiles were made by hand, sometimes by massively reducing a high-res texture. Rivers and water borders are hopelessly complicated, and the whole Gametable-tile-mapping process is horribly tedious... especially when you consider, and I quote, that "I had actually completed about 20 times the surface of the part I'm attaching". Was a great, big, useful map, though. For a few months.

MapTool is way more lenient about memory, working very well even on my low-end laptop (I had to run Gametable from my higher-end desktop). So... I'll probably be working on, like, a fifth world map before some time.
    Attached Files Attached Files