Thread: An Attempt At a Koppen Climate tutorial

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Wip An Attempt At a Koppen Climate tutorial

Hey.

So, one of the reasons why I joined the worldbuilding community was to make a Koppen climate map similar to Artefexian and his world. And as great as tutorial as it is, it is oversimplified to an extent, in my opinion. Once I looked at places like Somalia, which were contradicting to the tutorial. And after all of the climate tutorials I have looked at throughout the months, I figured I would attempt to make one of my own. But as a note, my climate tutorial may not be the ideal or the best, so take it with a grain of salt.

I am going to try to make a climate tutorial based on these.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=27782
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=27118
    https://worldbuildingpasta.blogspot....-part-vib.html
    https://www.madelinejameswrites.com/worldbuilding-guide

So anyway, here the base map and the elevation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	136253

Name:	World Map (With Latitude).png 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	136254

The reason why the elevation is by 10 degrees is to map the winds and pressure better, speaking of which, here they are.

Currents:

Name:	World Map - Currents.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	136255

January:

Name:	World Map - Pressure (January).png 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	136256

July:

Name:	World Map - Pressure (July).png 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	136257

These are primarly based on this (only shows on computer, not mobile):
    https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MdGBWG

I'm going to post on how I got these later, but in the meantime, what are your thoughts so far?

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Part 1: Currents

Laying out these currents should be relatively easy. Let's use the Atlantic Ocean as an example. First, use your latitude markings as an example.

Name:	World Map - Latitude.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	136259

I would use a program like G-Projector to take a PNG of a map and place the latitude markings as such. For this tutorial, I marked the latitudes by 10s, instead of 15s. This is because it's easier to map the pressure systems that we will map later in the tutorial, but for now, the currents.

First, the equatorial currents.

Use your latitude markings in order to place warm currents around 5 degrees north and south, due to them being on the equator, which is hot and warm. Then draw a counter current around the equator, which will connect with the other two warm currents. Next, draw the warm currents along your landmasses up until 30 degrees.

Name:	World Map - Currents - Hot (Section 1).png 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	136260
    Example 1: Atlantic Ocean
    In addition, notice how the currents themselves are adjusting themselves to the landmasses, this will be important in a bit.

Next, take those currents that are on the 30 degree line, and draw those currents across your oceans. Once they hit a landmass, they should do so at around 30-45 degrees, and then you need to split the currents up. One of the currents will continue to be warm and extend to about 60 degrees, while cold currents will close the gyre downwards and join back up with the previous equatorial hot currents.

Name:	World Map - Currents - Hot (Section 2).png 
Views:	10 
Size:	678.4 KB 
ID:	136261
    Example 2: Atlantic Ocean, again.
    Also notice how the 60-degree warm currents drop down to cold currents once they hit a landmass and join back with the 30-degree currents, closing yet another gyre.

Another tip, if you have an open ocean at around 45-60 degrees, then a cold circumpolar current will span across the entire ocean. And of course, cold currents will close gyres, similar to before.

Name:	World Map - Currents - Hot (Section 3).png 
Views:	10 
Size:	684.3 KB 
ID:	136262
    Example 3: Southern Ocean
    And that should be it for the currents. If you complete the rest of your oceans, you should be done. Here’s Earth completed.

Name:	World Map - Currents.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	136263

I hope this is useful to you, and if you have any criticisms, please say so. Next should be pressure and winds, see ya then.