Thread: Steampunk mapper

Post Steampunk mapper

Hello all;

I heard about this site from a conversation on the rpg-create Yahoo group, and since I'll need to make maps for the RPG I'm allegedly writing, I thought I'd stop in to read tips and suggested resources. The premise of my game is a sharp rise in sea levels in the mid 19th century, which understandably throws history for a loop. My project, then, is to produce maps with a 19th century feel but reflecting a rise in sea level of about ten meters. (fun taking precedence over realism) I've already seen some great work, and hope to be able to share some of my own before too long.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Browse around, try some of the tutorials, ask questions...but don't feed the CLs
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sounds like a great concept! Can't wait to see the maps....hey if you download Wilbur or buy Fractal Terrains you can raise the sea level by however much you want and you will instantly see the effect it has on a world map (including our world). That's definitely the way to go. Redrobes and Waldronate are the people who can help you more here.

Hang on, I've got FT so here goes: Real World as we know it. And Real world with the sea levels raised by 1,000 feet. Wow, Europe is just....gone! The third one is 10m (about 32.8 feet)...doesn't really show much of a difference (which surprises me).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	329.9 KB 
ID:	11638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world1000.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	11639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world10m.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	331.9 KB 
ID:	11652  

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    The third one is 10m (about 32.8 feet)...doesn't really show much of a difference (which surprises me).
    Is it calculating tidal actions? How far in storm surges go can be impressive in places with a 10-20m rise in sea levels. But for the most part, there isn't all that much difference on the large scale. The only 'bad' part about rising sea levels tends to be the number of large cities we've already built too close to the ocean.

Tidal Surges: No, I don't think that FT is that sophisticated...probably need some sort of cray type computer to run those calculations even if the software supported it.

Hey, Ravi, can you tell us where you found the global HF? I've found GTOPO-derived stuff, like shaded imagery, but actual heights are hard to come by. Well, I can easily find a few terrabytes of DEMs in, like, 30-meter res, but stitching those together into a global HF is a bit much for me and my computer.

I'm sure there are plenty of these out there on the web, but one more never hurts. The green/blue color divide ("Sea Level") is set to the indicated altitude, in meters.

-120 meters if the lowest sea level got during the last glacial maximum and +80 is the predicted maximum based on ice cap melting. Note that the terrain does include ice caps so the overall map doesn't really represent much of anything.

I need to get around to using the ETOPO1 bedrock DEM for this sort of map, but not today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeaLevel-Change-Small.gif 
Views:	509 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	11703