Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: creating fractal-based DEM's?

Quote Originally Posted by ravells
    Much better to make a rough of your terrain in silo and then use photoshop to put in roads and rivers and Bryce to smooth it and add noise.

Hey Ravs, can you say a bit more about this? What do you mean by "smooth it and add noise"? What does importing from Photoshop into Bryce do for the shot? The other way around I know may be used for touch ups, but importing into Bryce?

Generally the photorealistic style of maps is one of my least favorites, but this idea does intrigue me for creating other player visual aids. Since I have the programs (although a 100% newbie) I'd like to know more about the process you mention.

Thanks!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Not too long ago, I came across a website where some Lord of the Rings fans were mapping out Middle Earth with DEM maps (I think it was DEM, anyway). Sorry I don't have a link for you, but maybe try googling for it. You might get lucky.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Quote Originally Posted by heruca
    Not too long ago, I came across a website where some Lord of the Rings fans were mapping out Middle Earth with DEM maps
    Found it. Here's the link:
    http://www.me-dem.org/
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Anther option is something like Leveller (yes that is the spelling) (http://www.daylongraphics.com/produc...ller/index.htm) which is designed for heightfield and DEM modeling/editing. It is $150, but seems to be the tool for the job. Some of the civil engineers at work use it to touch up/add detail to existing DEMs.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12