Hi, folks. First-timer here. I've been playing around with various software programs for some time now and I've reached the conclusion that I can't draw the type of map I want to draw without using DEM's. And DEM's, by their very nature, don't exist for made-up worlds. So...does anyone know of a technique (or a piece of software) allowing me to fractally mimic a DEM? My goal is to use relief-shading techniques like those of the USGS and NPS, but until I can come up with elevation data, I am unable to do so.

I've tried doing an end-run around the need for DEM's by using contour lines, but to put in every contour line for a four-thousand-mile range of mountains that is twenty thousand feet high is...well, time-consuming.

At first I though Profantasy's Fractal Terrains might build DEM's, but this does not seem to be the case. If I'm mistaken, I'd love to be corrected.

As an extra-credit question, does anyone know of a program that not only allows for fractal continents, but also for fractal features on that continent? For example, I'm thinking I'd like to fractalize the outline of my mountains, or my forests or swamps or deserts, mostly because hand-drawing those borders always looks kind of fake to my eye.

Okay, that was a long-winded first post. If you've read this far, thank you! Any help is very much appreciated.

-Greg