Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random regional town - profile

Architecture is essentially -done-

Now I need to switch gears and figure out how to get
    a) decent ground texture in the city and
    b) Decent landscape to put everything in!

I would definitely redesign parts of the city if I were to start over again, but at this point I'm more interested in other aspects of the project.

C & C welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YprathWIP3.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	12071  
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

Great job so far. Sketchup can be a real timesink, so I can understand you don't want to mess with the buildings too much anymore

Are you going to add textures to the buildings by the way or keep it more schematic, like in the old maps?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I really like the medieval look and feel (with a fantasy twist) you've got to the city buildings. I think you've cracked the hard part, overlaying in the textures should be easier and fun too. What software will you be using for ground textures etc?

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I really like the medieval look and feel (with a fantasy twist) you've got to the city buildings. I think you've cracked the hard part, overlaying in the textures should be easier and fun too. What software will you be using for ground textures etc?
    Thanks for the complements

I think I misused the word "texture" - I meant in the generic sense of putting some artwork in the landscape - I did NOT mean a pre-fabbed, repeating bitmap of some variety.

I would like to produce the entire final map by drawing it with mouse or pen. (except for the labels and some parchment-y effects.) There is just a tiny bit of cut'n'paste in what I have now - I think four or five of the tower tops are cloned because I got sick of outlining the same thing 20 times Other than that each and every stroke is unique.

Starting to fill in the landscape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YprathWIP5.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	12560  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This looks phenomenal! I'd suggest lowering the height of the waves a little, but that's just personal preference. I'm looking to forward to seeing the finished result. Great work.

Yeah, it looks awesome. I feel a featured map coming
    Agree with Torstan about the waves, though.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Says I gotta type at least 10 characters but I just had 1 word really...sweetness.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very Cool!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the encouragement, folks - On a project like this one, it's extrmely helpful.

I am on vacation this week so maybe I can make enough headway to put this one into the "finished" pile.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast