Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaniya - WIP

I like your mountains. The rivers i think don't quite work because the are too large for the scale of map and secondly your largest river comes out of (what i assume from the brown color) an arid area while your lush green areas have fewer rivers.

Korba

Agreed the rivers are too wide.

Another thing I'd like to add: Get rid of the grain-effect. I think it makes the whole map less attractive as it could be. I used that effect myself some time ago but ultimately decided against ever using it again, because it just looks... well, not very good honestly.

Still, the map itself looks really nice (except for the grain-effect ). So keep up the good work and I'll eagerly await some more pictures!

Blog Entries

Yep, the rivers are the next thing I'm gonna spend some time on, at the moment they're pretty terrible.

Korba: As for the colours of the map, they are really just test colours. In this part of the continent there isn't really gonna be that much variation in the land so I've just added some more arid areas to test how it works.

Madletter: By "grain effect" I assume you mean the Film Grain filter? I actually quite like it although I admit it can certainly be done better. What I personaly don't like is the slight height map I added as this just seems to make it look too busy. I'll try playing around with some of the filters other than Film Grain but I think I do want something to make it less clean and shiny.

The graininess could work if the underlying textures would be more detailed, but it doesn't work so well at the moment. Another thing you might want to try playing with is the outer glow gradient. At the moment it looks a bit unnatural and artificial. Try playing around with the settings. Keep working with the map and you'll surely get good results

Blog Entries

A new version.

I've dialled down the rivers a hell of a lot, maybe too much, but I still only have a few in place on the map, so I have quite a few more to add there.

I've also had a crack at some forests. They may look odd but I was going for a kind of water colour look whilst still retaining a hint of texture to them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya3.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	11790

Blog Entries

Another update. I've decided to step back and get most of the map done in a sketch format before carrying on with the colour version - I realised after I had spent hours wrestling with the look of some forests that I've lost sight of what I actually need the map for. Hehe.

I've fixed a lot of rivers and added a bunch of others, although there are still a few more to add yet. The mountains are currently only temporary, I aim to get a much more varied look to them soon. I've started adding some place names in as you can see, mainly country names and just a few places of note (and before the river police get me, yes I know those rivers end in the lake called "The Mite" but it is a special circumstance).

Next I aim to get forests in and the political borders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya4.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	11827

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I love an antique map so this is good stuff. I prefer the color one though, but I think it has been over-fiddled with...if that makes sense.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Color schmolors, in my day we only had coal soot and blood and we were happy with it! Also, don't fiddle too much with your maps or you'll go blind.

I really like the sketchy map.

Well, I really liked the first WIP... but the second one was not as nice. This texture all over the map - to me looks horribly. Indeed, it made mountains legible, but honestly - the rest definitely was wrong.

Third one - I don't even think it's satisfying. I'd never let myself show such a map, sorry.

The sketchy map wasn't bad, but when I looked on the mountains - Ramah, how could you just copy the same symbol!? You could try to cheat on my eyes and make at least few different symbols and interchange them... It would look much better. With five different mountains placed around in random order, you would make it much better... and I am forced to say, it's a wrong map.

Get back to first design and use the mountains from the second. Such a mix could look really nice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunab.cu View Post
    The sketchy map wasn't bad, but when I looked on the mountains - Ramah, how could you just copy the same symbol!? You could try to cheat on my eyes and make at least few different symbols and interchange them... It would look much better. With five different mountains placed around in random order, you would make it much better... and I am forced to say, it's a wrong map.
    Well as I explained in the text accompanying the image: "The mountains are currently only temporary, I aim to get a much more varied look to them soon."

It is my opinion that it is worth showing images in a WIP so that people can see how it comes along and see how it progresses whether they agree or not. It's not a completed map or it would be in the completed map section.

Thanks for the comments though.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast