Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaniya - WIP

I love how every version of this so far has had some quirk that has made it different from the others. The variety is refreshing, and I think it's giving you a better feel for your map. In music (my primary forte), the more ways you can play segments of a passage of music (i.e. backwards, forwards, with alternate fingerings, etc), the better you know that passage of music and the more you can make it your own.

In my opinion, cartography is no different. I love all these different versions; keep them coming!

-asp

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Well as I explained in the text accompanying the image: "The mountains are currently only temporary, I aim to get a much more varied look to them soon."

It is my opinion that it is worth showing images in a WIP so that people can see how it comes along and see how it progresses whether they agree or not. It's not a completed map or it would be in the completed map section.

Thanks for the comments though.
    Ayyy... no offence, it's that I just tend to nitpick to everything - even with WIPs... and I often comment without having thoroughly read whole post

Blog Entries

A small update.

Shrunk some coastline in Southern Asrinon which I was never happy about. The pink colouring to said country is just there as a tester.
    Spent some time adjusting the mountains to a more complete state. There are a few more I need to place around the map but I've run out of time for tonight. I've given them a drop shadow to make them stand out at the moment but I doubt it will remain. And all I can say is... man, I wish I had a graphics tablet. :S

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya5.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	1,001.0 KB 
ID:	12138

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks great too, lotsa great stuff by everyone lately. I like the pink. Are other countries getting other colors?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    This looks great too, lotsa great stuff by everyone lately. I like the pink. Are other countries getting other colors?
    I was considering it, yeah, but I'm still not sure I like it. I'll test a few more countries but if I do go that way I'll probably make the change in colour less dramatic, maybe different shades of green and yellows. I'll do some tests.

I finished doing the rest of the mountains earlier so next step is to get some forests in which I'm not particularly looking forward too.

Blog Entries

Another quick update. Finished placing the mountains and added a quick border. This will probably change as it doesn't really suit the style of the map at the moment.

Name:	Vaniya6.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	12180

Blog Entries

Small update.

Messed with the border a little to get it more appropriate. Darkened the rivers somewhat as they were causing problems when surrounded by trees and started adding the forests. I still have a lot of trees to place but the largest area is done, apart from altering those around the rivers (which I had struggled to see when they were lighter in places and so some trees are over them). I may break up the large northern forest with a few extra mountains or something but it is basically supposed to be largely unmapped as it is hostile territory, hence no real detail such as large clearings etc.

I should be able to get the rest of the trees in today and then either start marking towns and cities or maybe add some hills first if I can be bothered.

Name:	Vaniya7a.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	12311

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice.

Though I think your text labels could do with a soft glow around them, especially where they overlay the terrain features.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yeah, the text will be altered to suit the map last. I just wanted to get some in there to test fonts and stuff. It looked fine when I put it on but as more features go in it loses legibility.

Have some rep, Ramah.
    Your map is starting to look really good. I like the symbols you use for your forests. The toned down colors are also a nice feature.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast