Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaniya - WIP

Blog Entries

Wip Vaniya - WIP

Ok, this is my first real post here so excuse me if I get something wrong with attachments etc.

The following image is what I have achieved so far with a map of Southern Vaniya, a continent in a world I conceived many years ago and based in which I am trying to write a novel. I came to a stop with the story due to me not having enough information to visualise what I needed (I lost my original paper map some years ago and my half-remembered snatches are as much as a hindrance as a help). So I decided I needed a proper map where I can refer to distances and land marks and after some searching came here and a great help it's been.

I'll dig out the references to the tutorials I have used in a while and edit them in.

The current state of the map is still basically just a large test map. It has most of the coastal shape that I want but needs cleaning up in places, small lakes removing etc. I added a few rivers midway but they were for testing purposes - I found them to be laborious in the extreme and I'm not looking forward to adding a shedload more. And the mountains are a work in progress too, I've tried quite a few techniques so far to get a style I like and I actually think the one I have used on this image is the best for me (so far), but it needs practice.

Anyway, here's what I have so far. Comments and helpful criticism would be gratefully accepted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya1.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	11674

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks nice - maybe think about adding some brown or grey to the mountains to make them look more like stone.

What program(s) did you use to create this?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Looks nice - maybe think about adding some brown or grey to the mountains to make them look more like stone.
    Actually, I wouldn't change the mountains just yet. Depending on how you plan to do the rest of the map they might look quite fitting.

The mountains aren't too realistic (like I am staring at Google Earth) and I kinda like the style!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I like the base continent. The mountains are a question mark at the time, interesting to see what you will do with them while you continue working on your project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    What program(s) did you use to create this?
    Photoshop.

I actually bought CC3 the day before I came here (which is where I discovered the link to this website) simply because I wanted a quick and easy way of getting a map down so I could work out scale etc. for what I needed.

But I have to say that I'm not in love with its basic cartoony style though. Some of the maps created with the themes from the annuals they make look really good but at its most basic, the only thing I really like about it is the fractal coast generation. I think I would have still been fine with that had I not seen some of the maps on show here.

Photoshop, on the other hand, can make these amazing maps but I didn't really want to get involved at a pixel by pixel level. Some of the maps, whilst amazing to look at, seem just TOO detailed for what I want. I think I'd find having every crag and crevice highlighted on a map just a little too off-putting.

Anyway, I've tried various tutorials on here for PS and in Gimp, which I'd never even heard of before coming here. I found some of the tutorials too hands-off, too random for something where you have an idea of shape and layout.

Jezelf's tutorial is amazing though...

http://www.jezelf.co.uk/tutorials.htm

That tutorial needs bumping back up the lists for newcomers to see as it's fell down quite a few pages.

What I'm aiming at with the map is a relatively flat look such as I have with just a hint of terrain. As I say, I'm still experimenting with various mountain techniques and to be honest, I'm not really sure how to go with them. But it's still early days yet.

Hi Ramah, and welcome to the Guild. Rivers should be a snap if you're mapping in photoshop. I'm writing a tutorial about this but I've been too busy to finish it although it's nearly there.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me so far. Everyone does their own thing for mountains...sort of like our signatures -- so whatever you come up with I'll be intrigued to see it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Lately my signature has involved many colorful metaphors, to paraphrase my main man.

This is pretty nice. I thought you were sketching something up in Wilbur which is kind of my weapon of choice at the moment.

Blog Entries

Ok, had a chance to work on it a little more. I'm not to fussed about the colours etc. in this new version, I think I'll lighten the look up somewhat, but I think I am gonna go with the mountains as I have them in it. I can raise them up a lot more if need be but I kind of like how they look more like an artistic impression of mountains, rather than actual "glossy-glowy" bevelled thingamajigs. And so I'll probably also lose the very slight land height map as I think it muddies the look up somewhat and maybe try putting a nice paper effect under it to go with the arty mountains.

Ok so the next major stumbling block I'd say is rivers. The ones I've put in so far aren't satisfactory and at the very least need toning right down so they don't stick out so much. I'd very much like to see that tutorial you are writing on creating rivers Ravells.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya2.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	11732

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast