Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need guide to building a wall (see map sample)

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Question Need guide to building a wall (see map sample)

Hi all, I'm a lurker here mostly and love the tutorials i find on this site. I make maps for conquerclub.com. I'm currently making a map that I want several impassalble walls on. I've come up with what you see below, but I'm not happy with it. It just doesn't fit the style of the map. Can anyone point me to some tutorials or examples of walls? I don't want a straight down view, but more of a perspective (like my attempt). Thanks guys.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What is it that you don't like about the wall you have? I think it looks pretty good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah I like it too.....
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    What is it that you don't like about the wall you have? I think it looks pretty good.
    Thanks Steel, I'm not sure what I don't like about it. It looks too vector I think. Too smooth. I would like it too look more like a rock wall.

Post Add towers

I think if you use a better stone texture to "color" your walls with the addition of periodic towers on the wall giving it more strength and detail would make this better. A tower on each end of the short walls, and several along the long walls with towers that look similiar to your castle towers.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals View Post
    Thanks Steel, I'm not sure what I don't like about it. It looks too vector I think. Too smooth. I would like it too look more like a rock wall.
    Maybe try horizontal rather than vertical lines or try using a pattern/texture rather than just a color.

GP's ideas of the towers is good too.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

thanks all - the towers are a good idea and I'll definitely try to add them. I also did try using patterns instead of color, but the wall was too small for me to work with. One of the limitations of conquerclub is the map size. The map I posted is the max size. I normally create my maps at the actual finished size (as above). But I normally don't work with small objects (ie. walls, castles, villages) in my maps either. This is new to me. Thinking about this, should I have doubled the size of this in order to work on the graphical objects, then scaled down when I was done? Maybe I still can - make a separate photoshop file for the objects, then reduce them and place them in my map file?

After searching through all the tutorials though, I'm surprised I haven't come across one for retaining walls. Hmmm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Needs crenelations but that might be too small to draw in...the towers will help a bunch. Google up some pics on The Great Wall of China for ideas on how to doodle in some bastions.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Do isometric everything!
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Here is a reference shot of the great wall:http://www.kinabaloo.com/gw5541s.jpg

Yours doesn't look too far off.

The main difference is that it is clearly built on a ridgeline, while yours looks like it is sitting on a table.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast