Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crypt of the Mad Monk

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I wouldn't worry too much about how they match up - hexes never overlay well onto square maps. At least with one hex=3' you'll avoid corridors with no whole hexes in them.

I love the hand drawn elements and the higglety pigglety corpses. The statues on the walls are fabulous too. Great work.

I like it. I'm curious to see how\if the hex conversion turns out.

My only critical gut reaction is that the Circled N in the main room feels very modern.

Sigurd

The circled N is just my logo, I'll remove that when I start work on that room.

Post Its not for D&D

Technically the ICE crypt map contest is for their own game system which is not D&D of d20 based game system. Have you heard of Rolemaster? They have that game plus a new one called HARP (High Adventure RolePlaying) anyway, its almost as old as D&D, just different - and not as big a player in the industry.

They don't use the D&D square grid, they use multiple facings in combat and require the more effective (to combat and movement) hex grid.

Me I don't worry about the grid until I'm completed with the map, then place one trying not to place too much under walls, but I don't worry about it too much, I just comply with this restriction. Its for their game after all.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks fantastic, a pleasing blend of hand drawn and stylized realism. I especially like the lighting in that top room.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looks fantastic Devinnight. Great use of perspective and depth, with the multilayer effect and the artwork is spectacular. Tried to rep you but I need to spread a bit.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

I agree about the grid. This is a common problem that I have spoken about multiple times. It really is an archaic philosophy of game maps that just won't go away. We should never restrict our mapping to a grid. It remove the organic feel that a map or a real place should represent. I was a draftsman for several years, working for an engineering company and a municipal utilities company, and the whole idea of designing to a restriction of a grid is just silly. However, we do have to design to construction restrictions. That means that things have to be in rough increments of the materials that are used in construction, but it is never a restriction especially if budget is not an issue. Anyway, I digress.

My point is that we should draw organically without restricting ourselves to a forced grid. Then once we are done we overlay the grid and let things fall where they may. It is up to the players to figure out how to use the available space effectively and move around. Much more realistic and allows us to be more artistic in our efforts.

This is especially true in dungeons. Consider who is building them. What tools are being used? How much time do they have to build it? Are there existing natural caverns and passages? IE, why would dwarves, building mines for themselves, ever consider making them big enough for humans to move around in easily? They are working with picks and shovels most likely. They are in a hurry to get to the minerals for trade. There are a few natural caverns, but all passages have to be widened.

With the above example, they would likely cut their workload by simply leaving the existing passage there and digging one side out. Once a passage was wide enough for them to get a cart through, or perhaps two carts side by side, they would likely stop. They certainly wouldn't make passages any taller than maybe 5 feet. The only large areas are going to be where the mining is actually occurring.

Anyway, just some thoughts I wanted to toss out about why I think designing to grids is silly, and some theory behind design. I didn't mean to derail the thread.

So to bring it back on track, I love the way this crypt is shaping up. The colors are exquisite and the atmosphere feels perfect for a crypt. I can't wait to see how this comes together. If you can, please leave the grid as a separate layer that can be turned off. I would love to see this map in a VT like MapTool.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Nice looking map. I love the way you've created a sense of depth with your use of lighting and shade in the northern chamber. Love all the details too.

I think the stairs that lead down to this room could do with a little more definition though.

Great work.

Thanks.

The stairs have a hi-lite and look better up close but a little shadowing on the back of them would help.

I might not be able to work on this for a few weeks, but then I plan on finishing it in a weekend or two so that I can absorb the feedback from you pros before submitting it.

-D

I haven't worked on this for two weeks, so I decided to get it finished this weekend if possible.

Here is todays work (fun).
    Any C or C is appreciated.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ICEcrypt2wip.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	12562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ICEcrypt2wip2.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	12563  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast