Thread: Tuloras Style Update (Close Up)

Guild Journeyer

Post Tuloras Style Update (Close Up)

Here is what i have so far what do you guys think?

I am trying to develop a style of map that is clear and colorful but unique... to quote Ascension and Ravells from another thread:
    "Looks good to me so far. Everyone does their own thing for mountains...sort of like our signatures -- so whatever you come up with I'll be intrigued to see it."

"These days everyone seems to be signing their name 'Pasis' or 'Soixante' "

Basically can i say i have developed my own signature? What more do i need to do to (and maybe some idea as to how) to improve my signature...

I use Wilbur and GIMP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhime2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	11697  

You are off to a good start. What I would like to see is more variation to the ground textures. Maybe some tan & brownish areas.. also the mountains could use a bit more detail. But these are just my thoughts, take the map to a direction which suits you the best.

I think it looks good and I’m keen on seeing more. The mountains have a really natural look (the slopes and ridges), but I would like to see a little less snow on them. And also because the mountains do look so good I think you should make them stand out more by maybe making the rivers and trees smaller (trees look kind a individual trees now which makes the mountains look relatively small).

Good work so far...

Guild Journeyer

@ Jykke: Good suggestion, the land is a little flat and clean. I want the map to be clear so i deleted most of the relief just leaving the mountains, but the Cloud layer over lay just isnt enough, gunna have to dig through some tutorials to find a good way of doing the lower elevations.

@ Pasis: Thanks! The region in question is rather close to the polar region (discworld north pole at the center is just to the lower left of this map) but you couldnt tell that from how green the land is. thus Jykke's point. White land is hard to make look right. If anyone has any suggestions or links to tutorials on a polar land texture or style that would be great. The Rivers i dont like at all... they are too big as you pointed out and almost make the map look... "cartoony"? The rivers alone want to make me dig out Cs7 and give up on Gimp.... I have RobA's tapered river path script but... still got to work on it... like i said i guess i have to dig up some tutorials i havent read in a while and relearn what i have forgotten....

Guild Journeyer

Here is the Whole continent (about the size of England ROUGHLY) the "north pole" or center point of the disc is to the left off the coast of the large island at the bottom... The region in the first map is supposed to be scandanavian in culture and climate... more white on the land... and i need to make the snow caps on the mountains look cleaner instead of just blanketing over them...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rhime.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	11718  

I can't figure out what is causing it, but there is something that is bothering me with the mountains. It looks as if the lower slopes (the non white ones) are rising higher than the upper slopes. I don't know if it is a layers problem, or if you have the contours set higher on the lower slopes.

Also, I am not to fond of the woodlands sinking into the ground rather than being raised up.

I do like the overall shape of the map, and I really like the way you did the shallower waters.

I had been typing a sizable response earlier today, but then my boss walked in and I quickly closed the page. Whoops.

I suggest some more brown and green tones in the mountains, specifically on the lower slopes, to make the peaks pop out a little more. The rivers should probably be a little slimmer, like Pasis suggested - certainly where they start in the mountains. Perhaps you could reduce the heavy black outline of the coast to something a little more subtle, and have that line continue stroking the shores of the rivers (possibly more subtle than the line on the coast). On that point, the rivers run into the black outline of the coast, so painting over those to make the river flow into the sea would look good.

Good work so far though, I'm looking forward to seeing you progress.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Guild Journeyer

"Also, I am not to fond of the woodlands sinking into the ground rather than being raised up."

What do you mean landorl?

The snow capps are fixed for what ever reason i just left the layer on normal and reduced the opacity to 50% instead of setting it to overlay which is done now, however i am thinking of redoing the map as i have all the pieces/elemente still here mostly because of the rivers so i am open to relearn/redo anything...

I am referring to the green spots (which may be hills rather than trees?), but it looks like you have them set with an emboss or bevel, but it looks like it goes down rather than up. It may be just where you have the light direction, but I can't tell.