Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I.C.E. Crypt Contest

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you're going to making it a descending staircase (ie down then in) you'll have to darken the floor as well. Since I really like the current floor I didn't want to mess it up
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    @Ascension - Spot on! That's what it needed - I'll make that change next time I work on it.

Not sure about the ascending/descending though - which way does everybody think works better?
    @ Ascension - Nice call!! I will have to remember that one.

@ SG - You don't see too many crypts being higher than the entrance, but it might be nice to see.... You would have to add the entrance way as well though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Post What I'd do...

I'm sure you'd do it with another layer in GIMP, but in Xara, I place a rectangle shape of the entire staircase, apply a graduated transparency going from say 70% black to 0% total transparency. Place on top of your stairs with the black towards the bottom, this helps enhance the look of descending to the lower level. Since I also color my floors darker the lower things drop, I try to match the bottom of the stairs in black to the same darker shade in the lower floor.

I'm sure you could achieve a similar effect in GIMP.

Just ideas.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks GP... I use PS but the same technique(s) should apply.

Still undecided about the direction but since it's only a few feet (not much more than 10) I don't think it'll matter.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks like a good start, although I prefered the original room layout.

A crypt is usually found beneath a church or chapel, so I think the stairs should descend into the crypt.

I'm assuming the sarcophagus is on a dias, and you're going to add some steps up to it? At the moment it looks like it's encased in rock.

Looking forward to seeing this completed.

Wip Small update

OK, had a little bit of time today to work on this. First I finally decided who the tomb/crypt was going to be for - a high priest and/or champion of the God of revenge/vengeance in my homebrew.

There will be a heavy black and gold color scheme and a lot of raven/crow motif.

Added some raven statues, reworked the dais where the sarcophogas sits and a few other small changes.

As always C&C is encouraged (and appreciated).

@DMGaz - I also preferred the original layout, but it was just to much to realistically fit into the size of map I wanted so I wen for something a bit simpler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ICE-Crypt Contest4.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	12118  

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good, bro. You great temples and I can the style fitting dungeons as well, as evidenced here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is developing well. The dias looks great now, and I absolutely love the golden sarcophagus. It reminds me of the scene where Indiana Jones lifts the gleaming Ark of the Covenant out of it’s cask, and makes me imagine this crypt is filled with many more ancient treasures.

I lurked this forum for 6 months before I made any posts, so I’ve seen a lot of work from all you guys; SG, Ascension, NeonKnight, Gandwarf, Gamerprinter, Hoel, and all the rest (too many to list). You all produce such imaginative and professional work, and I’ve learned a lot by following your WIPs, but I wonder what qualifies me, the noob poster, to critique any of your work? I’d like to take part though, join in and help out where I can, so…

…I’m wondering about the east-west corridor south of the sarcophagus chamber, and why it’s slightly wider in the centre? I imagine that, unless there’s some purpose to the unusual shape (and, hey, it’s difficult to say when it’s a WIP) that the builders would make this crypt pretty much immaculate for their high priest/champion, or do you envision it as space for people to stand when the doors to the sarcophagus chamber are opened fully?

DMG

@DMGaz - You are correct about the corridor, it widens so that there is space for the doors to open fully (or at least that's my story ).

Nice job, it's looking really nice.
    -D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast