Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I.C.E. Crypt Contest

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip I.C.E. Crypt Contest

OK, another slow day at work so I thought I'd get a start on this. Not sure exactly what the crypt is going to be for yet but I've got the basic layout, pretty much finished.

C&C is welcomed & encouraged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ICE-Crypt Contest.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	11715  
    Last edited by Steel General; 03-25-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks good...nice texture, good colors (esp the tan floor going well with the rock), good "temple" layout...nice stuff. Not sure about the bevel tho...at least not yet, will mull it over.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks...not so sure about the beveling myself. Probably need to rework that part, it's actually supposed to be underground/inside the rock.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept

I like it. Bevel and all.

I think I'll do something to hide the 'outer' bevel in the layer with the crypt 'cut' out of it. After mulling it over I realized I did this kind of backward, but don't want to rework the whole thing.

Should be able to add some additional 'rock' then blur it to hide the beveling.

UPDATE: I've tweaked the rocky areas a bit to hide that bevel that was there I think it looks much better now. But I might have to re-think my whole tomb/crypt complex. After adding an appropriately sized sarcophagus it appears that many of the openings/hallways are just way to narrow.

Name:	ICE-Crypt Contest2.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	4.67 MB 
ID:	11751  
    Last edited by Steel General; 03-26-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Wip

OK, I've completely re-worked the crypt itself - a lot fewer rooms. Still not sure exactly what kind of crypt it will be, but I'm starting to 'dig' it now.

I have added a few features, some doors, a stairway and the sarcophagus.

As always C&C welcomed...

Name:	ICE-Crypt Contest3.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	11791  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I am assuming that the stairs lead down to the doors...

If that is the case, you should turn them around 180 deg. where they are so that the step shadows lead towards the door. Right now they look like they lead further down from the door.

Looking good so far
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I am assuming that the stairs lead down to the doors...

If that is the case, you should turn them around 180 deg. where they are so that the step shadows lead towards the door. Right now they look like they lead further down from the door.

Looking good so far
    Thanks...I have flipped those stairs around several times, and it still looks wrong, I think I'm going to just have to redo them completely.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm diggin it too. The stairs appear, to me, that you ascend the stairs to enter rather than descend into it. In any case what you need is an overall gradient - darker at the bottom, clear on top - in addition to the step shadows. If you're supposed to descend, then it all needs to be flipped around. Here's a screenie:

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	865.3 KB 
ID:	11820  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

@Ascension - Spot on! That's what it needed - I'll make that change next time I work on it.

Not sure about the ascending/descending though - which way does everybody think works better?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast