Thread: Islands of Hatlor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Islands of Hatlor

The islands of Hatlor

The islands of Hatlor were made exclusively in Photoshop, an the shape was made randomly by the clouds render.

I’ve had a lot of troubles with the mountains, because it was very hard to find a way they would fit in the rest of the picture. I finally managed, thanks to some real good advice of people. See the WIP post to read those.

For the names, I admit, I’ve used a fantasy names generator. If I would have done it myself, the names would have looked a lot like each other.

Storyline

For hundreds of years, the continent of Hatlor was ruled by a demonic wizard called Cern. He terrorized the country, exhausted the fields and used people as slaves to work in the mines of Mosom. The only reason he was still in charge, was his magic power, that he gained out of the crystals from Mosom.

In the year 396, great news reached the inhabitants of Hatlor. The crystal mines of Mosom were exhausted. The people of Hatlor could now finally end the terror of Cern. They gathered an army, larger than anyone could imagine, and went off to Mosom.

What they didn’t know, was that Cern had still a few crystals left. He used these crystals to create a huge tsunami, and destroyed the land between Ineat and Mos’Ari, just while the army was marching there. Thousands of soldiers died in the tsunami, and none of them reached Mos’Ari. The street of Cern was created, and from now on guarded by huge whirlpools.

After the defeat of the large army, the people of – what they still called Hatlor, but now geographicly are the islands of Hatlor – tarted to argue about who’s fault it was. Another great war begun, and all the different countries were born.

In the year 426, the king of The empire of Mosurath decided the war had caused enough deaths. He, and all other countries, decided to sign the deed of Nayth, in which they declared they would stop fighting each other.

It’s now the year 487, and its still peace. However, rumours are going in the south that the wizard Cern has found another crystal vein...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oude-Kaart-WIP-5-(Almost)-F.png 
Views:	388 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	11716  
    Last edited by Chaosorcerer; 03-25-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    All of my work is protected by Creative Commons Licences except when noticed otherwise somewhere in the thread. Click here to see what that means.

Congrats on a nice map!

I see the style as more-or-less a fusion between a modern "Rand-McNally" atlas style and an antique hand-drawn style - which sounds like it could be a strange Frankensteinish beast. But the parts do ad up to a successful and attractive whole. Enjoyed viewing it!

That's a really good map, for one really good reason. Often, in maps, you'll find towns strewn all over the map with semi-logical placement. I notice that most of your towns are on a coast or along a river, just like it used to be in real life (see: Egypt). Of course some places can dig a well or have water brought in, but that's never practical, and always costly (trust me, living near L.A., I know).

I love the soft colours used for each of the countries; they all work very well together. Though I could argue that country lines would usually be a bit straighter, just because unless territory is contested in active warfare it's so much easier to keep track of straight lines.

Repped!
    Emaria Universe Map - V6 here, old version here
    Emaria Star Maps - here
    Emaira Star Map Tutorial - here

Absolfrigginlutely Gorgeous! I love the look-and-feel, and also the clarity your map provides.