Thread: Maps of an unfinished campaign setting

Post Maps of an unfinished campaign setting

These are some maps i made for a campaign setting i never finished, also my first maps posted here. Let me know what you guys think. All maps where done with photoshop, no cartography programs used.

http://opctournaments.110mb.com/world.html
    http://img.covrune.com/uploads/69bfd75cac.jpg
    http://img.covrune.com/uploads/91adf5a852.jpg
    http://img.covrune.com/uploads/59133be3ad.jpg

Nice - very Forgotten Realms
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

I agree with Valarian, very nice.

What I really like is the minimalist approach that still conveys the required information. I also like the more muted color pallet it gives a more "hand drawn" feel and with the watercoloring one could easily imagine an ancient cartographer sitting down at his table and painting these maps.

Nicely done, Megrim! I especially like the first one (the close up), although all are pleasing to the eye! I like the saturation of the colors into the parchment, which give variations & character. Also, the mellow tone of the entire set fits well.

My only suggestion would be to mute the reds in the borders if this is intended to be an authentic, hand-drawn ("player's" ) map--they are too stark, "perfect," and out of place IMO. Ditto for the font style. On the other hand, if this is more of a GM map--or a cross between the two (as the Forgotten Realms maps were), then perhaps disregard that comment.

Did you draw the entire map by hand in Photoshop, or did you cut & paste from other maps/applications? I'm interested in how you achieved the forest border & the hill/mt. elevations details.

Well done!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon
    Nicely done, Megrim! I especially like the first one (the close up), although all are pleasing to the eye! I like the saturation of the colors into the parchment, which give variations & character. Also, the mellow tone of the entire set fits well.

My only suggestion would be to mute the reds in the borders if this is intended to be an authentic, hand-drawn ("player's" ) map--they are too stark, "perfect," and out of place IMO. Ditto for the font style. On the other hand, if this is more of a GM map--or a cross between the two (as the Forgotten Realms maps were), then perhaps disregard that comment.

Did you draw the entire map by hand in Photoshop, or did you cut & paste from other maps/applications? I'm interested in how you achieved the forest border & the hill/mt. elevations details.

Well done!
    I scanned my forgotten realms map and what i did was cut out a sample of a forest, a sample of a mountain and a sample of hills, terrains and such and with the clone tool i created the patterns for the other forests based on the sample i took, if you look closely every forest and mountain have the same border, it just twists and turns in different angles, the rest is a secret.

For the red lines, that is the regional map and the red lines divide the regions, that map is more of a guide than a player's map, i gave the map to my players by region with the cities and such.

I would love to see a boundary-less version of these maps. They're beautiful, but the heavy red lines make it a little harder to absorb everything. And ++ for the FR-style; I feel like their most recent maps are the best in the RPG industry for looking nice and hand-drawn, conveying the proper amount of detail, and not going overboard.

The Campaign Builders' Guild - Part of the Alliance of Creative Communities, the Campaign Builders' Guild is your home away from home while searching for tips, reviews, criticisms, helpful hints, and resources for building a wonderful campaign setting.

Turtles All the Way Down - Blogging about Building Campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmayl
    I would love to see a boundary-less version of these maps. They're beautiful, but the heavy red lines make it a little harder to absorb everything. And ++ for the FR-style; I feel like their most recent maps are the best in the RPG industry for looking nice and hand-drawn, conveying the proper amount of detail, and not going overboard.
    Sorry for the late reply but here is a clean version of the map:

http://opctournaments.co.nr/region-worldclean.jpg

I was also asked to put up a tutorial on how i did the cloning and pasting... i will think about that, i am very lazy when it comes to explaining things :cry: