Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello... Again!

Wip Hello... Again!

Hi Folks,

I'm not exactly new here... I joined over a year ago while I was finishing school (Graphic Design at Niagara College, Ontario, Canada) and I started to really get into things here. This is a GREAT network that taught me many things not just about fantasy cartography but design & art in general.

Life got a little busy for me last year though. Between graduating, moving to a new city, going through 3 different jobs, getting engaged, and planning a wedding I was swamped. But now that the big day is a month away and I've settled nicely into a permanent job (Junior Graphic Designer at Burlington Signs National) I can get back to my passionate hobby. Fantasy RPG and map making!

Anyway, attached is a regional map I was working on last year. At this point I consider it finished unless anyone has major comments/critiques. After reading over some of my old posts its clear to me that I am out of practice at cartography, but I will soon be pouring over some tutorials in preparation for a big upcoming project - a world map for my homebrew campaign setting of Dezoria.

Cheers everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mycanum_Bay.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	11733  
    Joshua
    Graphic Designer
    & Amateur Photoshop Cartographer

Post nice mountains

Hi and welcome,

I must say this are great mountains. Also the rest of course is amazing. If this was done entirely in PS, I would like to see a tutorial on how you did that. But you seem to be a busy person...lol.

Regards
    Benarius

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wonderful work and congrats on the other stuff too. I like your rivers and the mountains are unique. Something about it seems to have a variable blur in spots that keeps playing with my eye...sort of like I can't focus my eyes on certain spots...kind of cool in a way.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I like your rivers and the mountains are unique. Something about it seems to have a variable blur in spots that keeps playing with my eye...sort of like I can't focus my eyes on certain spots...kind of cool in a way.
    Thanks! I usually run the Inverted Clouds filter quite a few times when building a heightfield for my mountains. This gives me nice "mountain passes" and individual mountain peaks. I like this because then a mountain range doesn't seem like a big wall and if my players ask "What's that mountain there?" I can make up a name for each individual mountain in any given range. I think I do need to add some snow caps though... I'll probably do that by hand with a light airbrush.
    Joshua
    Graphic Designer

Congrats, and welcome back!

A beautiful map by the way.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post Welcome back!

Let me echo NeonKnight, Congradulations, and welcome back! As a relatively new member of the guild I can only say it is great to have someone with your apparent talent come back.

Those mountains are beautiful, spectacular even, but me eyes were drawn to the rivers. They seem slightly large for your scale. I also noticed what may be a river violation near Hammerfist Holds (were there River Police when you were here before?).
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome back, and nice map too...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    Those mountains are beautiful, spectacular even, but me eyes were drawn to the rivers. They seem slightly large for your scale. I also noticed what may be a river violation near Hammerfist Holds (were there River Police when you were here before?).
    Ha ha ha... I don't think the river police had established themselves (at least I was never handed an infraction) when I left. Though I could have used the constructive criticism. Rivers are a weak spot for me... I suppose I should do some Google/Wikipedia research.
    Joshua
    Graphic Designer

Post Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_101 View Post
    Ha ha ha... I don't think the river police had established themselves (at least I was never handed an infraction) when I left. Though I could have used the constructive criticism. Rivers are a weak spot for me... I suppose I should do some Google/Wikipedia research.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not River Police, and so do not speak with authority (you'll notice a little badge in Steel General's awards). I will, however, briefly elaborate on my previous comment (because I do not believe Google/Wikipedia research will offer the same details/crit).

By 'large rivers' I mean wide, really. Without exact measurement against your scale but a quick glance, I am guessing your rivers are all (few exceptions) more than 5 miles wide, and less than 200 miles long (again, few exceptions). While this is not impossible (I don't think), given the number of these rivers on your map it does suggest huge amounts of precipitation (rainfall that I don't believe has a 'real world' equal). Still, many cartographers (more historically than modern) have exaggerated map's features, so this crit is small compared to the second.

Near Hammerfist Holds you have one river that splits into two distinct rivers which then take different routes to the sea. Imagine that rivers are a two dimensional representaion of a tree, springs and headwaters being the tips of twigs and branches. Moving downwater, the twigs and branches come together into larger branches, and eventually join to make the trunk. The 'trunk' of the tree will not split into two trunks going into the ground. At the ground you might see the roots of the tree exposed, and river deltas are similar. (Hope my metaphor doesn't make the subject more confusing, PM me or an authorized River Police if it has.) The other incidents of splitting rivers on your map happen close enough to the sea that river delta is a reasonable explanation. The Hammerfist split requires a 'magical', or otherwise unnatural explanation.

Again, I am not River Police, so take these comments for what they are, one apprentice trying to helpful.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

As a member of the 'River Police', I hereby acknowledge the aforementioned infraction and officially give warning.

The split of the river near Hammerfist Hold is genrally not possible, now if you have a good reason for it like it was magically created or even "I just want it that way", that's OK. Should be an easy fix if you choose to do so.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast