Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isle of New Cay

Wip Isle of New Cay

Here's a small map I put together this morning. I was testing some techniques last night and decided that I have to post a new map with this particular style even if have have other unfinished projects. I'm not sure if I'm going to take this any further (I might add forests, but not yet sure about that), but I welcome any critique or suggestions you might have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isle-New-Cay.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	342.6 KB 
ID:	11737  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice Jykke - don't see many maps like this here.

Have some rep for trying something new and different *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sweet. Looks awesome. Have some Rep. And some consutrctive criticism: The road seems to "float" a little, somehow, probably because it somehow seems the road does not really follow the height and depth of the terrain... except for that it's really awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MadLetter View Post
    Sweet. Looks awesome. Have some Rep. And some consutrctive criticism: The road seems to "float" a little, somehow, probably because it somehow seems the road does not really follow the height and depth of the terrain... except for that it's really awesome!
    Actually the road should follow the terrain accurately, because it is projected on the 3d version of the terrain But the lighting & other effects might make it look like that.. I have to take a closer look at this and see what can be done.

Woah, that's way different. Very nice, though.

Steel General: Very nice Jykke - don't see many maps like this here.
    Have some rep for trying something new and different *bonk*
    Thanks, I've always liked the hand drawn style of maps, and trying to emulate it seemed like a fun idea, which eventually lead me to try this technique out. Oh, and thanks for the rep, It's always nice when people appreciate my work (and generally the work of other people).

MadLetter: Sweet. Looks awesome. Have some Rep. And some consutrctive criticism: The road seems to "float" a little, somehow, probably because it somehow seems the road does not really follow the height and depth of the terrain... except for that it's really awesome!
    Does it still seem to float so much? (btw, there's a tree on road.. damnit)

Oh, and here's a new version of the map. With some trees!

EDIT:
    overlordchuck: Woah, that's way different. Very nice, though.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SARJIS-SAARI2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	415.9 KB 
ID:	11755  
    Last edited by Jykke; 03-26-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to thank overlordchuck :)

Awesome, that's almost more an illustration than a map. Might have to put some warning signs on top of that cliff on the right, though, to avoid people Lemminging off.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like it a lot.

I'm not sure about some of the hard shadows of the mountains and trees on the water, but otherwise I think it is great. Good work.

Oh, as for the road. I think the reason that people think it looks like it might be flaoting is that it goes in and out of the light and shaded areas indicating that it is going over bumpy terrain, but it is going in a straight line rather than following a contour. This is especially the case in the middle area where it sarts in the dark, travels straight, going through a highlight, and then back into the dark again. That just looks a bit weird.

Anyway, have some rep for a nice new style.

Repped for originality!
    I agree with Torstan that some of the shadows look too hard.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

The nice thing about those shadows and trees is that they can be fixed easily I have to take a closer look (again) at the roads, when I have some spare time (..actually I should be doing other things at this very moment ). Thanks for the input! Criticism is warmly welcomed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast