Thread: Test Map using Pasis's mountains

Wip Test Map using Pasis's mountains

I'm not really going to do anything else with this, as this was just a test to see how well I could do with this technique (along with some modifications).

I think that it turned out pretty good, but I wanted to see what others thought before I started using it for real.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	11760  

The mountains looks pretty ok and they aren't following the usual fishbone pattern. I especially liked the erosion on the top of the mountains.
    The forest trees seem to be a bit detached from the map, so you might want to change them to integrate more fluently to the underlaying terrain. I recommend removing the bevels and highlights, as forests seldom have that glossy touch (if ever? ).

The general layout looks good, but the rivers on the top left corner are crossing with the roads quite many times, you might want to fix that. Good start I'd say.

EDIT: Oh, and try having a small tilt on the field texture near the cities, so that all fields of the map aren't aligned the same way.
    Last edited by Jykke; 03-26-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks good. A few of the smaller mountains look a bit sharp - the worst offender is on the middle of the map to the west. Also, the green areas are very flat for a mountainous region where we can see the towns.

Looking good, I'll be interested to see this used in anger

I second to Jykke and Torstan here. Also you might want the rivers and roads twist more in mountaneous area.

I think this is very good start and definately worth proceeding.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks fine other than the river color, shrug. For this kind of style I'd go with a color that is more of a medium grayish teal or lighter blue with a bit of green in the mix.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Actually I like the blue of the rivers. I also very much like the farmland.
    The forests looks a bit like its floating above the map and they look too much like plastic, I think.

Otherwise a very good map. I can't get enough of this style!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it, though the highlight on the forest/trees seems a little much - at least for me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Praise

I'll echo some of the others. . . the trees look artificial for some reason. Also, I think you could probably find a more organic and less organized texture for the fields. . . as it stands, they stand out a lot.

On the whole though - wonderful stuff.
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan