Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Map for Trade...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Not that these maps do not deserve perfection, it has met approval by the publisher
    And that is really what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi GP, check out this link for reference material on Pullman coaches (if you have not seen it already).

For victorian roof tiles check out this link.

I don't know how much of a perfectionist you need to be with the map, but that style of roof usually had a curved tile on the ridge of the roof...might be worth putting in to give the roofs more definition.

I think with rank and file houses, individual chimney pots were unusual, usually there were a number of chimney pots to each chimney. I've done a very quick and dirty version here just to illustrate what I mean.

Hope this helps!
    Excellent links Ravs!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wip Last try for you guys!

One last try on my London map, for you guys - like I said, already met with approval with the publisher on the previous version.

1. Got rid of that curve building - since it seemed to cause so much trouble to you guys!

2. Ravs - I put those rounded ridgelines and the 6 pot chimneys in place of those I originally had. I used constructed solid shadows with transparency rather than the drop shadows with the overlapping darker areas.

3. Found those two buildings at the top that had no shadows and applied them.

4. Added some grass and a wall, where the curved building was.

5. Adjusted the vegetation in the upper left of the map.

GP

PS: I didn't place rounded ridgelines on every roof join, only on the tops - aw, that's got to be good enough!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shropley-court.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	11818  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Your first one was "good enough" , but we hold you to a really high standard.

Get rid of the bevel on the wall. Way too big for the scale.
    There is still a weird line around the vegetation in the top left, could be an artifact?
    Any reason for the different color chimneys in the bottom left?
    There may actually be too many chimneys now on the houses. I think it would be two at max, but Ravs can better answer that.
    I think the rounded tiles at the ridge are too big for the scale as well, but again Ravs could help there more.

Overall, still a great piece regardless of the nitpicks. Like I said, if the publisher approves, call it done.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing I have to add is that the roof shingles all face the same way on the rectangular houses. The square ones with round shingles all overlap properly going downslope but the ones on the rectangular ones overlap going upslope then on the other side overlap going down.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looking great GP! I really like the distorted tiles...gives it an olde worldy feel. Here's some pics from my back garden ... the houses here were built in 1914, which is Edwardian, but not far off Victorian.

Have to say, I love your map...totally professional feel to it. Wouldn't look out of place in a Cthulhu by Gaslight sceanrio!

Name:	chimneypots.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	11819  

So, would you say one chimney per structure then? I agree about it being great for any game taking place in that time period.

Post 4 more maps for trade...

OK, four more maps for trade, almost complete with my side of the bargain on creating my adventure arc for publication. I need to tweak a dungeon map and put lab equipment in that one train car, then I'll be complete!

I've got 3 levels of Doku keep the vampiress and antagonist of the story for the publisher's victorian adventure module. Also the village overhead map where that same keep sits on a hill overlooking the village and the rail road bridge over a small chasm.

Oh and if you think the castle's sparse, yeah, but the publisher didn't give me any information except for number of rooms. I didn't want to furnish what I didn't know information of what was in each room. So its bare so he can textually place whatever he wants. (Not the way, I like to map, but its all I got to work with.)

Still more commissions to do, but I'm clearing the way for doing my campaign!

GP

Name:	doku1-sm.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	650.9 KB 
ID:	12339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doku2-sm.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	461.9 KB 
ID:	12340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doku3-sm.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	469.9 KB 
ID:	12343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doku-village-sm.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	12344  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I really like the fourth map. The river bed is nicely done.

I think the publisher missed an opportunity for not furnishing the castle.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Those bare maps work perfectly for VTTs GP! Minus the grid of course. Maps llike those make it really easy to plop it down and then through items around the room that can then be moved/manipulated/destroyed by the players.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast