Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanners' Row, Haffenburg

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Tanners' Row, Haffenburg

Designed using Illustrator for an RPG campaign. I've done one district (Tanners' Row) of a sprawling city (Haffenburg) and will be slowly building up the picture of the city as we go.

This was my first crack at using illustrator to design a map, and it could certainly use some polishing.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tanners Row Map.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	11775  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great start (though abit pixellated at full zoom)...will keep an eye on how you progress with this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the kind words, I think the pixelation is down to the rubbish images I used for the pins. I'll be trying to do my own versions. Overall, however, I 'm quite happy with the map and the sort of theme it conveys.
    John

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Illustrator, huh? Cool. I never knew a vector app could produce a nice hand-drawn line. Looks pretty well laid out as well, although it would have to pass the Hoel test So far so good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

hoel test? I'm missing something methinks...

I'm a little bit more used to Illustrator and quite intimidated by photoshop, however it seemed ideal for the type of map I wanted to do. A hand drawn type of map that could be easily replicated as new districts are added. However I'd like to get more use out of photoshop as I want to create a colour map of the city.
    John

Have a new push-pin!

Hmmm... no support for svg? Ah well, it's in a zip, then, and a jpg so you can see what it looks like.

edit: @Ascension: Illustrator has a good variety of artist brushes that can be used to stroke a path. I used the same or a similar brush here:
    http://www.bryanray.name/illustration/081108Geisha.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	push-pin.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	642.0 KB 
ID:	11837  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 03-29-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    hoel test? I'm missing something methinks...
    Hoel is one of the local residents. He comments a lot on the layout of cities, especially regarding their defences. At the moment he isn't really active because he is moving, so you should be safe

Nice map by the way!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Many thanks for all the kind words, and a huuuuge thanks to Gandwarf for the shiny new pin. It shall be incorporated into Haffenberg as soon as i get the chance (exams looming). As a quick question, where do I save the SVG file in Illustrator and Photoshop? I've been playing around with the excellent tutorial from pasis using PS for city map and am having a ball (although I very much doubt it will do any good in my exam).
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    Many thanks for all the kind words, and a huuuuge thanks to Gandwarf for the shiny new pin. It shall be incorporated into Haffenberg as soon as i get the chance (exams looming).
    Yeah... ehhh, about that. The pin was made by Midgardsormr. I think you looked at the wrong post
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Aaargh! Sorry about that. My thanks to midgardsormr. Sigh.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast