Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galactic Atlas of the Known Worlds

A very aggressive project, Qbista, and a bit of a daunting one as well, but I'd be glad to help in whatever way I can. Being a bit of a Sci-Fi buff myself (and fiddling around with both AstroSynthesis and WinStarGen) I found myself writing a few javascripts for determining basic planetary temperatures (average, but working on the angular displacements as well) for both a single heat source (primary star) and two heat sources for moons orbiting gas giants and the like. It's not 100 percent accurate and breaks under certain conditions, but I'd be happy to share what I have with you if you're interested. As far as planets go, I'll have to dig through some of my old Traveler material as well as some of my old (first release) Battletech/Mechwarrior material. You might also take a look at NBOS for the Kepner Data Sets as well as ISDB ( Internet Stellar Data Base - http://www.stellar-database.com/ ) for some handy-dandy information regarding our galactic neighborhood.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Qbista View Post
    Ok, sorry for delay, but I'm extremely busy right now. Ok, I found a nice example of 'statistics' that I'll want to put inside mine/our atlas. To be honest - those are just some scanned pictures from one of the Fading Suns universe Corebook's, but those fit perfectly to style i would prefer.

Of course, there are some statistics, that are completely non useful, and not needed for us (like Agora, Garnison, Cathedral; also Adjacent worlds will be added when we will get whole list of systems that will be used in Atlas). The whole thing is that - it perfectly shows, kind of information that I want - described shortly, without getting into unnecessary details, informations. Also the 'main planet' map, is made coyly, but sufficiently - we need to remember, that the main idea is to create solar map, not detailed map of planet themselves.

Also the map of all planet in the solar system (look above the planet map on 1.jpg) is, IMHO, done perfectly - on one axis it shows - also sufficiently - size of all the planets inside the solar system, and the distance between them.

I want to hear Your opinion about going in somehow similar style to this (of course - not exactly the same), and Your first ideas about the "Worlds" (I mean - Solar Systems).

------

Steel General - I really like Your planet map and description. I think, that Your work should be another example for us, it's really stunning. Especially the 'interface' is very similar to my first imaginations about the Atlas look. But, I think that before we will stop at the moment, when we will need to think about the interface, We got plenty job to do.

------

As always -
    Thanks for help,
    Qbista
    With what program did you make that criticorum map?

Hi.
    Sorry, I know that I've been out for a few months, but currently I'm working on a unbelievable tough case, and I don't have much time to spend time at any other activity.

The project hasn't died yet, stay calm. I think, that In next two weeks I will have more time to cooperate. ; )

jaspertjie - presented maps aren't mine - they are scanned from Fading Suns source book (as I remember - from this one describing al-Malik's lands), but - i was working on a map which looks exactly the same as this - In Photoshop (still working on CS2) it is very easy. Later I think I could do a small tutorial, because giving map this look requires only few quick moves.

Greason Wolfe - WOW. OK, thanks, of course, I would appreciate Your help, especially those javascript's looks very interesting for me and they should be very helpful. I would be glad if You'll participate in my small project.

Publisher

Funny thing is that I have been doing these too lately

@Digger2000: Those are sweet! Have some rep...and welcome to the Guild!
    M

Publisher

Thanks mearein69, I was searching the internet to see if anyone had actually started this project yet, as I have put a proposal to Redbrick who now produce Fading Suns to do the same project officially, I have been creating the individual planets as fan images for some months now, and thought it would make a good sourcebook for the game.

The images I posted above are actually not anywhere near the quality of the finished items I will be using, if I can I will post some of the finished images, but Im not too sure of the copyright agreements on the Redbrick contracts.

My main problem in this has been taking the official surface maps, (Qbista posted a sample of one) and turning them into a flat planet texture, the only way I could see of doing it was to warp the original map in photoshop till it fitted the rectangular flat texture map.

Qbista I hope that you are still watching this thread and if you are, if you would l love to hear from you if you still have time to work on it.

And here's my latest

Last edited by Digger2000; 10-24-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: added image

Publisher

Tried a slightly different method with this one, not sure if it looks a good.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice planets digger - I'ld love to zoom in further. I like the ones without the sharp contour better
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Publisher

They are bigger on my DeviantART page http://digger2000.deviantart.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12