Thread: Land of the Golden City

Guild Apprentice

Wip Land of the Golden City

Greetings All,

I've been doing mapping by hand for years now and finally shifted to electronic cartography. This is my first crack at using CC3. The map is for a D&D campaign I am running based on a synthesis of the Points of Light Campaign and the ancient/historical/mythological eastern Mediterranean.

Things I learned making this map...
    *Put trees, mountains, etc on different sheets. It worked out to give the trees and mountains the same effects on this map but I would have liked to have more control.
    *Similarly, put different contour effects on different sheets for the same reason. The contour around the "Nile" didn't come out quite the way I would have liked.
    *Make sure contour effects draw past the edge of the map so they don't fade in a straight line when edge fade effects are applied.
    *There is no substitute for hand-drawing 10,000 tiny trees to indicate a forest.
    *Put small islands on a separate sheet from main land masses. The inner edge glow effect needs to be much smaller.

Any comments/advice/constructive criticism you have would be much appreciated.

Edit: The map has been updated with a bigger resolution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Land of the Golden City.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	12617  
    Last edited by ElfSpeaker; 04-20-2009 at 09:57 AM.

I am not sure if this is a limitation with the software or not, but the mountains at the top seem to be spaced too far out compared to the others. Rather than looking like a chain of mountains, they look like a lot of individual mountains. Perhaps do these like the closely grouped ones on the southern continent?

The text also appears to be pixelated... I am not sure what you can do to fix this tough...

I like the glow on the oceans, but perhaps the colors should be reversed? The dark blue in the center where the water would be deeper and the light blue on the outside nearer the shore?

Looking forward to more...
    Evey: All this riot and uproar, V... Is this anarchy? Is this the Land of Do-As-You-Please?
    V: No. This is only the Land of Take-What-You-Want. Anarchy means "without leaders"; not "without Order." With Anarchy comes an age of true ordung, of true order, which is to say, voluntary order...

V: This is not Anarchy, Evey. This is Chaos...

Nice map, have some rep.
    I agree with Volsung, the mountains should be crammed a bit closer together to get the feeling of a mountain range. The forest is looking good.

It's a bit hard to comment as the map isn't really big. Could you save in a bigger resolution?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Let me start by saying... Welcome Aboard!

Since you included a map in your very first post, have a bit of 'rep' *bonk* (cheesy sound of your reputation going up).

There are several folks in attendance who are very skilled with CC, so feel free to ask questions, etc.

Oh yeah... nice map too
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    It's a bit hard to comment as the map isn't really big. Could you save in a bigger resolution?
    Done.

I tried playing with the contour colors a bit too. What I'll need to do for the next time around is start with a lighter color sea and add dark contours. I couldn't get the color to look quite right as it was.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Hmm. This looks suspiciously like the area around Greece, Turkey, and Egypt, but with things moved around a bit. Was that your source for inspiration for the geography?

Incidentally, Iskandarun is a real place (on the southern coasts of Turkey rather than in the location of Alexandria where it appears to be here.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Hmm. This looks suspiciously like the area around Greece, Turkey, and Egypt, but with things moved around a bit. Was that your source for inspiration for the geography?

Incidentally, Iskandarun is a real place (on the southern coasts of Turkey rather than in the location of Alexandria where it appears to be here.
    Yes, that region was my inspiration for the map. Good catch on Iskandarun. It is the Arabic name for Alexandretta so I applied it to the Alexandria-esque city. Eneiyala is also Arabic in origin.

Good job on the map.

Don't worry too much about the 'learning stuff'. I have been using CC3 (and CC2 Pro) for going on about 15 years now, and I am still learning
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ElfSpeaker View Post
    Yes, that region was my inspiration for the map. Good catch on Iskandarun. It is the Arabic name for Alexandretta so I applied it to the Alexandria-esque city. Eneiyala is also Arabic in origin.
    Ah, yeah, I guess I knew that (al-Iskanderun with the "al" chopped off for some reason), and yet didn't make the full leap. I have to say I do like little things like that embedded in a world.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I Think the issue with the mountains is not the spacing,, it's the uniformity. The mountains are evenly distributed both N/S and E/W. Perhaps move some of them around so that you get distinct lines suggesting ridges and valleys?
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan