Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eye-Candy and the Gimp

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The Eye Candy filters for PS are great indeed. I intentionally leave them out of my tuts cuz not everyone has them but they can do some very cool things; mostly for stuff other than maps.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

All I can say is get it. Get it, if only for the 'jiggle' filter which I use all the time for making mountains.....

Get it.....download it....now.

In fact there's a few there I don't have the eyecandy bundle I already have....downloading them now!

Post Wine?

Ok, I'm sold. I want it, but I'm just a little confused about your instructions. What is Wine? Where do I find that? Ubuntu System? Please, can you give me specific instructions? I have not yet installed GURM, if that's an issue. I want it. Please help.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    Ok, I'm sold. I want it, but I'm just a little confused about your instructions. What is Wine? Where do I find that? Ubuntu System? Please, can you give me specific instructions? I have not yet installed GURM, if that's an issue. I want it. Please help.
    Sorry, I sometimes get geek-happy. First tell me your operating system.

-Rob A>

Post Thank you for assist RObA

Well, I took that as excitement. It got me excited too. I've heard Ravells rave about Alien Skin and Eye Candy before.
    I'm Using Windows XP. I've downlaoded the pspi already, and dropped it into scripts. I also have two .RPM files and three .gz files (from your second link) and the folder "eye-candy" (your first link). Guessing I need 1 empty folder (I have this in "my documents"), to drop all files and folder into , to designate path for pspi. That's as far as I've gotten. How (or where in GIMP) do I access these new effects? OR have I messed up somewhere?

You've messed up

The pspi.exe file should go in the gimp plugin folder.

On xp use:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourlogin\.gimp26\plugins\

You don't need anything else from there.

Create a new directory wherever you want. Say C:\plugins\

Restart gimp. Under Filters you should see a new entry called photoshop settings (if I recall correctly). In there you need to add a new directory entry and point it to C:\plugins\ (or whatever you used above). the next time gimp starts, pspi will iterate all subdirectories of that one looking for photoshop '8bf' plugins.

Run the eyecandy installer and pick (for example) C:\plugins\ec3\ as the install directory.

Restart gimp and you should have a new eyecandy entry under Filters.
    You can use most ps plugins (like the flaming pear plugins or kai's power tools) by installing then into subdirectories of C:\plugins\

Hope that helps.

-Rob A>

Post Thanks!

Yep, that did the trick. Under filters I now have Eye Candy 3.1 and Eye Candy 4000 demo. I did get this though on starting-
    pspi: EnumResourceNames(PIPL) failed for C:\Documents and Settings\K & R\PSPI\EyeCand3.8bf: The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file.
    Not sure if it will hurt me in the end (I read something on your second link, I think, about an error message on start up), but would rather not have it, if you know what it is and how to fix.
    Either way, thanks a ton for your help!

lol, I guess I spoke too soon.
    I have the directory, but it doesn't do anything. Doesnt even show up on my undo history that I've tried to do anything. (Under filters, I do have the option to repeat last though.)
    Do you know what I've done wrong, or am I SOL?
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 03-29-2009 at 12:54 PM.

If you get the EnumResourceNames(PIPL) message it won't work.

just restart gimp. It only seems to happen on the first start after installing new plugins. Not sure why.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Praise

Thanks RobA. I had to run through the Eye Candy installer a couple of times before I got the error message, but the next time I started the Gimp, both versions of Eye Candy were in the filters. Before the message they weren't on the list no matter how many times I restarted Gimp.

Thanks again oh Gimpmaster
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12