Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye-Candy and the Gimp

Info Eye-Candy and the Gimp

I just discovered that there is a free "special edition" eye-candy version 3.1 that was released by Alien Skin a while back. I found it here: http://www.geocities.com/why2kspace/

It runs fine with gimp using the PSPI (photoshop plugin extension)!

On top of that, I also found PSPI compiled against Wine: http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/pspi.html

And have tested it on my Ubuntu system. I installed wine from the package manager, installed the PSPI plugin from that link, and installed eye-candy 3 from the first link.

And have it working (mostly) fine. There are still a few oddities when dealing with some transparent features, but if you are religious about things being open source and choose linux for other reasons, this give another tool in the arsenal!

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

There is a plugin for Gimp that emulates photoshop? On windows? does it add layer effects to Gimp? where does one get it? where is info on it? ect. ect. ect.......
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    There is a plugin for Gimp that emulates photoshop? On windows? does it add layer effects to Gimp? where does one get it? where is info on it? ect. ect. ect.......
    No, there is a plugin for gimp that lets you use many third party (8bf) photoshop plugins within gimp. It is at the link provided.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

K, thanks will look into that
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Wait wait, hold the phone. There's a plugin that lets me use Photoshop 3rd party filters?

Yeah, maybe we still don't get those layer effects, but this remains quite cooly awesome!

(I suspect that if GIMP is to ever really have layer effects, it's going to have to build this in from the ground up in a later major release, which I suspect will not be easy, and developers working for free can't be expected to do something that daunting very quickly.)
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There is a GIMP plug-in somewhere that approximates some (but not all) of the Photoshop layer effects. I messed around with it last year.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    There is a GIMP plug-in somewhere that approximates some (but not all) of the Photoshop layer effects. I messed around with it last year.

Yeah, I have it, but it is a little buggy, and doesn't work at all like the screenshots I've seen of layer effects going on in Photoshop. I'm not complaining, mind; I've never used Photoshop (never had that kind of cash), so I don't really know what I'm missing, but some of the interface elements, from the screenshots, look very nice.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I suspect that if GIMP is to ever really have layer effects, it's going to have to build this in from the ground up in a later major release, which I suspect will not be easy, and developers working for free can't be expected to do something that daunting very quickly.
    The devel team's focus has been to port the gimp core over to GEGL. This will completely change the power of gimp. It will act like audio filters where they can be chained...in other words you could go "back" and change the amount of blur you applied back in the first step. So every single GEGL implemented filter would act much like layer effects do in PS.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The devel team's focus has been to port the gimp core over to GEGL. This will completely change the power of gimp. It will act like audio filters where they can be chained...in other words you could go "back" and change the amount of blur you applied back in the first step. So every single GEGL implemented filter would act much like layer effects do in PS.

-Rob A>
    I read about the dev effort on GEGL, but didn't understand from what I read what the benefit was supposed to be. I thought "I already have the ability to undo everything". It wasn't made clear to me, in that regard, that I could undo them out of order (if I read that right). So... if I did something ten steps ago, and want to change that, but keep the following 9 things I did, this GEGL implementation will allow that? That is pretty cool. Thanks!
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Exactly.

Also, my understanding is that the GEGL filter stacks operate at high precision. So you would only get 8 bit quantization at the end of the stack, not at the intermediate steps.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast