Thread: How to change an Inkscape-Map to pencil sketch

Question How to change an Inkscape-Map to pencil sketch

Heya,

I'm quite new here, it's my first post.

Some days ago, I found this forum and I really liked all the tutorials, which gave me a lot of things to do with my inkscape and Gimp.

So, I have a quite nice and complex Map in Inkscape and already polished it with Gimp. So I just have one question:

How can I change my Map into a pencil sketch? I saw some tutorials how to change a photo into a pencil sketch, but it didn't work so well with my Dungeon... I would like to see strokes, really strokes, and not so 100% straight lines which are in no way frayed (scraggy? sorry, english is not my first language).

I hope this is the right forum to ask my questions.

Thank you in advance

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off Welcome Aboard!

Can't help with your question, but I'm sure someone will be along in good time that can help you.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild. In order to "mess up" your map and make it look more hand drawn you'll probably find that GIMP is the way to go (since you already have it). On a new layer you'll need to trace over the lines...all of them, either with a mouse or a tablet. You might need a bit of a blur as well. To make it looks nice you'll need to spend a lot of time on it. I'd also suggest looking through the GIMP forums to see if there is some sort of script to do it automatically. There are some nice filters for Photoshop but I don't know much about the GIMP...RobA is the man for that and I'm sure he'll be along in a while to help you out even more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps