Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ysi Earth world map II

Wip Ysi Earth world map II

Longtimenosee.

Recently I got the mapping bug again, so I decided to *this time* get some climates done (may Athë succour my suffering). I also did some modifications of my old base map, to make it seem more interesting and mappy, mostly by adding more geography.

(equirectangular, mountains are only approximate)

I realise that there's a lot of archipelago here. What can I say. Did you know that the Archipelago Sea off the coast of Finland is the largest archipelago in the world (if you count by islands)? It's probably true.

Like the last map I made, this one will be in-character. It will use a round azimuthal equal area projection (not the more old-timey stereographic as last time), which will be used to depict two hemispheres. The two half-globes will be arranged like this:

The edges will meet at the South Pole, instead of the sides, which means that the western hemisphere (which contains the northern continent) will be upside down, rotated 180 degrees. Here's a GIF to illustrate the logic:

I don't *think* anyone else has done it this way. It adds a bit of fantasy flavah to the whole thing.

The end result should be yet another printed or handwrought-looking map, so the mountains won't remain like the bumpmapped ones in the above maps, but will be drawn by hand, and there will be very little shading, and more old-timey dithering. I'm thinking of doing a variation of fantasymap mountains using long strings of mountains instead of single peak brushes (much like the "realistic" mountains at http://www.brodt.dk/peter/mount.html ). I will also endeavour to show some climate stuff by drawing appropriate flora and fauna, and I will also add some fantastical beasts onto it, including gryphon-like quadraped and feathered members of an animal family related birds, and four-horned ungulates. The old rivers (though well-policed) weren't based on any climate patterns, so those'll be remade.

On the sides there will be two astronomical maps: on the left side, three circles radiating from the middle, on which lie the three Moons of Ysi Earth, and on the right (to the East), a Tychonian model of the Ysi Sun, with the diverse planets that orbit it.

The map will either have two compass roses, or one combined compass rose looking like a Lorraine cross.

I'm making this topic before starting on the actual mapping part, and I will have to do the climates first. First will come stuff that'll be mostly done with projection converters, Inkscape and mouse, and when I get back to the City from the weekend, I will also have access to my tablet if I'm ready to draw mountains and foliage.
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 03-27-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I really like the presentation. Is this done with FT?
    FractalTerrains? No, the basic map above (the grey one) was completely created by hand, originally making an outline with pen and paper, including rough tectonics (a year or two ago, for the first Ysi Map). The mountains were drawn by hand (mostly sketchy scribbling) which looks great if you emboss it.

(I use GIMP to modify the basic map, and then usually import it into G-Projector to convert it into other projections (or flex projector if it's a projection there), which is imported into inkscape to be vectorised and modified and layouted, which is then imported yet again into GIMP to make it pretty. But you should know this already if you've read my tutorial, which you totally have.)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good to see ya back and mapping again since I love the style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I love the style.

Then you'll be happy to know there'll be even more of it!

Wow!

I always had lots of trouble with projections, and now... Naeddyr, you're my saviour. G.projector and Flex Projector are great. I got quite amazed by what can be done using them.

And the maps of yours - they are really different from what I've seen here. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Quote Originally Posted by hunab.cu View Post
    Wow!

I always had lots of trouble with projections, and now... Naeddyr, you're my saviour. G.projector and Flex Projector are great. I got quite amazed by what can be done using them.
    The new 1.2 version of G.projector is quite buggy, and you can't actually fiddle with the map projection parameters! Luckily, I have an older version at hand, which I've uploaded to http://cardua.googlepages.com/GProjectorWinold.zip until there's a bugfix version available.

I also downloaded G.projector, and was perplexed at how it wouldn't let me alter the coordinates. So thanks for uploading that older version!

Your map is looking very nice so far, I really like the shapes and curves of the continents. Looking forward to seeing you develop it!

And again, thanks for the functioning copy of G.projector.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Luckily, I have an older version at hand, which I've uploaded to http://cardua.googlepages.com/GProjectorWinold.zip until there's a bugfix version available.
    It seems like Windows version... could you have Linux version or system-neutral Java archive?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hunab.cu View Post
    It seems like Windows version... could you have Linux version or system-neutral Java archive?

Cheers
    I'm sorry to say I don't.

BUT

I've been investigating this.

Turns out, the Windows version has a JAR file in its /jars/ subfolder that is exactly the same size, bytewise, as the JAR in the Generic version (I checked the new 1.2 version, but it should hold true for old ones too).

SO, the windows version seems to contain the generic version!

What a laugh, eh! Ha ha ha ha.

what is this foolishness

EDIT:

Taking a chance to post some stuff from the world creation phase of the map (still in progress for the climate). This is independent from Karro's stuff, and some of it is very old (the tectonics are from the first map, etc), I'm just retrying my hand at the climate. If you offer advice on the science, please note that currently I am only giving two and a half rat's asses of effort for this thing, because I've cried myself to sleep with this stuff enough.

Old tectonics:

Pressure balts for January and July:

Winds:

Ocean currents:

Rain:

Climate based on the Climate Cookbook.
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 03-31-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast