Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Google Maps API to display your maps?

I had some frustrations with file sizes. It would seem that major slow-downs and/or problems loading the files occur when my antivirus is running. I turn it off, and the bmps load quickly. I'm wondering if it's chocking trying to scan a 2 GB file. I have found that, when loading a file, the menu bar grays out and the File/Processing/Help become inactive if it's loading properly; if it's not working, it just stays the same and nothing changes.

Anyway, my resolution tests:

40000 px width -> can output in jpg/bmp/png format
    30000 px width -> doesn't even try to load it (?)
    29999 px width -> doesn't even try to load it (?)
    25000 px width -> loads fine (WITH Antivirus OFF)
    20000 px width -> loads fine (WITH Antivirus OFF)
    15000 px width -> loads fine (takes about 20x longer with antivirus ON)
    10000 px width -> loads fine

In the batch file (GMapImageCutter.bat) I adjusted the memory allocated to the jar file to 2048M and 4096M respectively. I'm not sure if this has anythign to do with the above loading limitations or not - but I thought I change them from the default values 1/4 the size in case it helped.

My latest attempt is from a 25000px * 18229px BMP file (~1.3 GB file). If printed at 300dpi, this would come out at 83.33" x 60.76". I could live with that. Each pixel would represent ~4km square for the map scale I'm using. That means my rivers are way too wide as seen, are way too wide, but that's fine with me in this case. It's a balance of appearance and potential realism in my view.

I selected a zoom level of 8 which appears to create 21845 tiles used to create the image at its different zoom levels.

It took ~12 minutes to generate the tiles and html file.

This attempt was, in addition to testing maximum resolution, a test to see which font sizes would work/be legible when zoomed in. As a result, youll see a number of text groupings all over the map. Each group contains the font Papyrus at 1 to 100 pts in size. For my purposes, the 2.5 is the minimum I'd use with 100% clarity. 2 is legible, but I'll try to avoid using it. This will allow me to label fairly small details, etc. which makes me quite happy.

The link to view this version is:Abebe - 25000px x 18229px Map with Text size test

To make life easy, I zip up the files and upload the one file which is then extracted on the web server itself (takes about 12 minutes to upload vs. who knows how long for 21000 individual files). This is a Bluehost account for those wanting to guage speed etc. The zip file was ~82MB set to store (not bother trying to compress).

If you have any comments on the speed of access, etc, I'm curious. I'm using Firefox 3.0x to view things just fine. Does it work for you in your browser?

As well, I'd scaled up the original image from ~10000px to 40000px adjusted a few settings, and then scaled back down. Is the end result of definition/clarity acceptable? I'm trying for a watercolour-base with ink/chalk pastel for detail.

Of course, now there's an issue with the key. #@$@#$%$

Working now for me.
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 03-28-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks good to me.

Are we supposed to see all the text at all zooms?

Right now it's one image for the whole thing. Ideally, there would be different images for each level of zoom showing text appropriate for that scale....

For now though, just to be clear, there are 12 or so lines of text with a font size ranging from 1px to 100px. For me (and I hope others) 1px is unreadable. By 2.5px, clarity is there. 3px + are all just fine. But when zoomed out, you do see the tiny unreadable text. Sigh.

Hmm..I guess I could create a different version for each zoom level. I'd then have to merge the different tiles, as appropriate from each zoom. Only 21000 gif files for each level to sort. No problem

OK, by again doubling the memory allocated to the image cutting program, I was able to load a 30000px (width) bmp file.

Now I'm wondering how I can export a file (that's over 30000px width) from photoshop in bmp format.

Or better yet - can any of you suggest some image-editing software (vector preferred) than can work with such massive files?

Blog Entries

This has been an interesting thread. SeerBlue did something similar with our CWBP worlds only I checked that site and its down now. But that was doing the same sort of thing by using, I think, Global Mapper to do the conversion but I might be wrong there.

I checked my BlueMarble image which is 52Kx26K and that takes 700Mb or so of files. I have a test file for my app which is 150K square or so but its about 20Gb. The blue marble originals were 2x 26x26K in TIF too. I had to convert to RAW then into PNGs.

Seers thread
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2026
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-28-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries

I have been doing some tests here. I loaded up Blue Marble in my app and I can zoom around on that ok though it is just a little bit slower. Thats a 52x26K image. I can save that as a BMP at 40K wide from there and it took about a minute or two max to save it. Heres where it gets interesting tho.

I tried the image and fax viewer to look at the image and it thought for ages and then it failed and printed up couldn't load it. I tried my own picture viewer and that failed too after a while. Both of these are 64 bit. I tried IrfanView and Gimp they both failed immediately cos they were both 32 bit. There is a 64 bit Gimp out which I should try tho. Then I tried MSPaint. It chundered the disk for probably 20 minutes and put up a dialog that it had failed and yet it was showing some of the image. I don't know how much but enough to get to the image below. Putting up the information shows that it was a 40K image it tried to load. Note the file size on disk - Hey MS use a size_t not an int for the file size heh heh. Bug right there. But it did load some of it. The only thing I have which nearly did it. Basically any BMP over about 30K and your generally wasting your time.

Sounds like what I've been finding. BTW...of which blue marble image do you speak?

ah...figured out now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast