Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Google Maps API to display your maps?

i've been trying to load larger images and it does not even try to load them... smaller crappy ones, sure. but large ones (like 15000 pix wide) and it does not try...

sad.

In the .bat file (at least on the Windows version) you have to edit it...

There are two values for the amount of memory it needs. Here is how mine reads now:

start javaw -Xms8192M -Xmx16384M -jar gmapimagecutter.jar
    exit

That let me load the 30000x wide test image I made.

I hope that works for you.

And where are our 64bit versions of all the map making software and terrain generators (other than Wilbur)? I still haven't gotten any of them to break past 9000 px. in export.

Well, I'm just uploading a 30000px wide version now.

In PS it was set to 300dpi.

The text blocks around the page were my tests for appropriate font sizes. I'm testing 1px to 10px in photoshop using the Papyrus font for anyone wondering.

I'll leave this up here for a month or two on my site.

And this setting (level 8 detail in the software) seems to provide ~1:1 correspondence with the 30000px image.

Thanks for this find.
    The road to success is always under construction.

I'm glad some others can use the info besides me.

I'm now thinking about interesting ways to share photos etc....

This is great! Now, I'd really love to use this on my RPG campaign site where I'll be posting my maps but I can't find anywhere on the site to say whether it can be used as a plugin for sites like wordpress. Any ideas?
    John

Not off hand. It is just an HTML file - so if you're able to insert that code anywhere...in a frame maybe?

I'm not having much luck with large files. I played around to see the limits and 5000 x 3991 72 dpi jpg on setting 12 (max) is fine but up one pix in any direction will cause the app to not even attempt to load the file. I can save the jpg on 8 and squeeze a few more pixel out of it but not enough to justify. I also played with the memory settings and found no difference in file size that can be loaded. I did try turning off anti virus (avast) and then tested files slightly over what I know can load without success. When I viewed the memory monitor larger files don't appear to be attempting to load.

guyanonymous: can you give me a little more info on how you loaded the larger files? I'd like to do 12000 x 8000 72 dpi setting 12 jpg. Did you ever have to sit at the "no image loaded" black screen and wait for a load or did you get a progress bar?

Thanks
    The road to success is always under construction.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast