Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Google Maps API to display your maps?

Post Google Maps API to display your maps?

I stumbled across a program that chops up your huge huge images and creates the code to use the Google Maps API to display them just like a Google Map.

You can scroll, zoom, drag, everything. All with about 5 clicks.

I uploaded my first test here in case anyone wants to see it in action.

http://www.davidpiercey.com/test/

The program I used was from here:

http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/g...magecutter.asp

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's brilliant! Love it. Thanks for the link.

That was a 10000 px width image....I'm trying it with a 40000 px width in a bit (that's slowing my computer down a bit).

Now to figure out how to make links on the map and other markers (borders, areas, etc)...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

When you figure that out, please let me know. That would be great.

1px->1km would then be possible on for world maps covering planets with 6000+km radii.

Praise This is awesome

I've downloaded the program and am working on figuring it out now.

good to see another vancouver photographer spending time on some classic geek pursuits!

phil

Right back at you!

I just had a peek at your site. I really enjoy your many types of art and creation.

If you want to see some amazing ink work, you might enjoy the book Who Needs Donuts? (http://www.amazon.ca/Needs-Donuts-Ma.../dp/0375825509)

Workign with a layered 40000x30000px image is slow. Just realized after starting a 20 minutes save as TIF that that program doesn't read TIF.

Hmm...above 30000 pixels PS doesn't like saving as much other than TIF and PS formats. Now...what do I have to convert a massive TIF to a bmp?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks awesome...I love doing huge maps and this will be a lot of fun to play with.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I've been banging my head against the wall this morning. The software doesn't want to load 30000px wide bmp files...so now I'm trying smaller. I'll let you know how it works out.

My ideal (in case there's a wonderful programmer out there) is to be able to input, for example, 4 files making up one larger map and have that all work together. I could do each separately, but then they don't correspond to the naming structure etc that would be required to show them all together.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast