Thread: Village of Avanseöt - my first

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Post Village of Avanseöt - my first

Well, I've finally finished my first map since I joined this forum. No WIP-thread this time, because it really was more of a 'private' try-out before the "real stuff". Still, I'm kind of surprised at how it's turned out.
    Since I've never really done a lot of mapmaking in PS, I decided to check out a few tuts first. The one I used the most is this one by Pyrandon. I added the hedges and stone walls myself. The trees were done using Ascension's Mini Tutorial on Photoshop Trees, with slightly brighter colours. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite get the hang of "shrubbery", so I left it out. In retrospect, I think I would have been better of doing most of the trees with a pattern like in Pyrandon's tutorial, because of the flexibility and then use the tree brush for individual trees and plants. Does anyone know where I can find some neat top-down forest pattern (photo-realistic)?

I've left out the labels on purpose. I simply haven't decided on any names yet. I will when I use it for the D&D campaign I'm going to run.

Any critique/advice is more than welcome. Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avanseot.jpg 
Views:	1703 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	11838  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a nice map, and a great avatar!

I like it. My only two comments are that the road looks very saturated for the other colours in this map which leaves it looking a little painted on rather than integrated into the map. The second comment is that the house shadows look a bit short. The sharpness of the shadows on the roofs suggests a low sun, so it should throw long shadows.

Now they are really minor crits. I like it a lot. Great first map, and thus duly repped.

@Torstan: thanks! I hadn't noticed the house shadows, but now that you've mentioned it... I'll do some changes asap. As for the roads, you're absolutely right. They didn't quite turn out the way I wanted, but I wasn't sure why or what to do about it.

The avatar I 'stole' from deviantART

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

If you have the road on a separate layer I'd just turn the saturation down a bit. If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Yup, I have. Thanks

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it, very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job. Looking forward to seeing more from you.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep, very nice map. I love the vegetation, fields and little walls. Really great stuff.
    The only suggestion I can give: try and experiment with some different looking rooftops, it will make the village look more realistic. All the houses have the same colored roof now.

Repped of course
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ah yes, the roofs. Thanks for the tip!

Post TY!

Thanks for the thread bump, I would have been cheated to have missed this (sorry I didn't see it when you first posted it, I must've been pre-occupied).

Sooo, great, great, and great. Shadows all falling same direction (I thought for a minute your walls were casting shadows at a slightly different angle, but my eyes might have been playing tricks), though I must echo Torstan's comment, short on house shadows (same length as wall shadows?) and on the trees as well. Speaking of trees, your's turned out fantastic, I'm going to have to try Ascension's instructions again. Varied up the crops, very nice. Did you try rocky terrain in 2 seperate colors, or is that something else on the riverbank? I wish you had included a scale, but I'd guess your narrowest road is 5', with a few 3' paths thrown in.

All in all, a great map. Repp'd.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire