View Poll Results: Please Choose 4 entries.

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vallée Mystique - by Greason Wolfe

0 0%
  • Dwarf Fortress - by Draco18s

2 4.17%
  • The Ashakbur Goblin Reservation - by Torq

35 72.92%
  • An Ode to HandsomeRob - by RobA

27 56.25%
  • Up a creek without a paddle - by Torstan

21 43.75%
  • River Challenge - by Bartmoss

3 6.25%
  • Where are the rivers? - by Benarius

4 8.33%
  • Excess - by Waldronate

2 4.17%
  • Hidenn City of Pluvia - by Drahyden

1 2.08%
  • Map Vandal - by Map Vandal

12 25.00%
  • Following the river - by joćo paulo

2 4.17%
  • Grinding the River Handle - by Redrobes

2 4.17%
  • Good Intentions - by Korba

8 16.67%
  • Return to Khuutath - by Steel General

3 6.25%
  • Reporting for Duty - by Ascension

20 41.67%
  • Invasion of Norvallen - by Overwatch

27 56.25%
  • Marshlands - by misteradam

2 4.17%
  • River Basics - by Roger

0 0%
  • The River Run - by Gimil*

2 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** March 09 Challenge Voting ***

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Man I feel like such a chump. I had the grid on one of my layers in gimp but had the layer hidden because I really hate grids. The plan was to hide the layer until the last possible moment. Of course when the moment came I wasn't able to get online before the competition closed. Mea culpa. Under the circumstances I think its only fair that I offer my resignation from this month's challenge.

Torq
    Don't be silly...

Alot of these maps do not follow the rules but we can still vote for them. If the Admin's want to keep it that strict they would not let us vote for ya.
    Last edited by Bohunk; 03-30-2009 at 01:54 PM.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Torq, your map is fantastic. I have to say.

Now if there was only more love for mine.
    I suppose I could have gone through and found some of the randomly generated names for places and labeled them. Or something. I was just quick-and-dirty generating a map rather than working a whole month on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    The way I look at it, as long as the rules are posted clearly on the voting thread then it's up to individuals to vote how they want.
    Exactly. Sad to say, I had to disqualify Torq's map(as well as some others) in my voting because of the rules and how I interpreted them. Sorry Torq, this is the first time I have intentionally not voted for one of your entries, which are consistently at the top of the heap(the other time I just accidentally over looked your entry in my rush.)

Other voters may not feel the same, and that's up to them to vote based on how they choose to interpret the rules.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Now I can see why you didn't vote for Torq within the rules but not voting for anyone? Now Joe, you must be the lone ranger of all river police to have found a disqualifying error in every entry

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Now I can see why you didn't vote for Torq within the rules but not voting for anyone? Now Joe, you must be the lone ranger of all river police to have found a disqualifying error in every entry
    Ah, ya caught me... I actually have not in fact clicked the vote button. I was hoping I could fool every one.....

What I should have said is that I have seen some lovely maps that while quite pretty aesthetically, don't match up to my interpretation of the the rules (at least not the last time I had to look at them), but I do have a few that I intend to vote for and hope to get that done tonight.

With that said, since the entire contest is focused on rivers, I will be voting based on that as the criteria. Those who have a river going through a large portion of a square will have much better chance at getting my vote than those where a river trimmed a corner. Likewise, those who added lakes that filled up most of a square will not be in as high a positional as those who used the map area to create rivers and river valleys. Again, that's just my interpretation of the rules.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

HAH! You think you can get out so easily do you! I've participated in some challenges, didn't even finish the map, yet I still got votes. You're just going to have to suffer winning with a gridless map.

I ain't letting you out of it so easily!

You still have my vote...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Man I feel like such a chump. I had the grid on one of my layers in gimp but had the layer hidden because I really hate grids. The plan was to hide the layer until the last possible moment. Of course when the moment came I wasn't able to get online before the competition closed. Mea culpa. Under the circumstances I think its only fair that I offer my resignation from this month's challenge.

Torq
    What the hell is "mea culpa"?

You had my vote after all!

Last edited by joćo paulo; 03-30-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: ?
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It means "my fault" in Latin.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    With that said, since the entire contest is focused on rivers, I will be voting based on that as the criteria. Those who have a river going through a large portion of a square will have much better chance at getting my vote than those where a river trimmed a corner. Likewise, those who added lakes that filled up most of a square will not be in as high a positional as those who used the map area to create rivers and river valleys. Again, that's just my interpretation of the rules.
    I will admit that my map didn't quite follow the rules with respect to the challenge's rivers (as well as two or three squares that only had a skirting river), but given that the program I was working with didn't like to follow the rivers I gave it there was little I could do. It'll be something I mess around with for a while: getting a particular outline to have realistic mountain ranges and set rivers.

Dwarf Fortress also does lakes differently. Elevations that are below 100 (on a 0 to 400 scale) are below water and are "oceans." So it's impossible to create a mountain lake, such as the one in the middle of our source land appears to be.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast