Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Geidor

Wip

Well, the temperature map finally bugged me, as I went over it with a friend. It didn't really account for seasonal changes at all, so I'm altering it to account for seasonal changes.

January/Northern "Winter" Solstice:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP A-0.4q 3000x1941 - OceanTemp-January.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	12255

July/Northern "Summer" Solstice

Name:	WIP A-0.4r 3000x1941 - OceanTemp-July.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	12253

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 04-10-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Ah damn, I never posted that bit about the projection.

Well, basically you are slightly screwed. About 0.2 bumparelles, which isn't life-threatening. The map is what cartographers call in the "oh god what are these people doing here" projection. The simplest way to fix this is to stretch either the horizontal or vertical, or both axises so that their ratios are two to on, and then fix the poles. Here, you'd have to either fix the north pole by either creating a northern coast on the northern continent, or streth the northern bits of the northern continent so that covers the whole upper edge of the map. Let me show you what happens with your current map:

Huh, it doesn't actually look that bad.

It's kinda.... Alright.

well. You could probably just adjust the map so that it's 2x1, and then it's propah equirectangular.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azimuthalaltasil.png 
Views:	299 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	12258  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Hmm, yeah, actually it doesn't look too bad. It just takes recognizing the fact that the land around the pole area is really a lot more compact, that is, if you plan to put anything there. It's a bit of an extreme environment, so I wouldn't expect a lot of human habitations in that region anyway.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Yeah, after Karro mentioned something about it when I first uploaded the pictures, I plugged it into GIMP, mapped to a sphere, and rotated it to check. I'm not happy with the pointedness, but basically I think what I'm going to do for the easy fix for now, is possibly to soften up those mountains at the pole, and try to round out the island a little. I might make a little line of land all the way across the top to pull it off. I've got some playing with it to do.

As for Equirectangular, exactly which parts are 2:1? I don't think I quite follow, yet.

-asp

Quote Originally Posted by altasilvapuer View Post
    Yeah, after Karro mentioned something about it when I first uploaded the pictures, I plugged it into GIMP, mapped to a sphere, and rotated it to check. I'm not happy with the pointedness, but basically I think what I'm going to do for the easy fix for now, is possibly to soften up those mountains at the pole, and try to round out the island a little. I might make a little line of land all the way across the top to pull it off. I've got some playing with it to do.

As for Equirectangular, exactly which parts are 2:1? I don't think I quite follow, yet.

-asp
    On an equirectangular map, the whole map is 2:1 in size. Each pixel represents an X degree by Y degree area, so it's easily computable, but there's a lot of distortion. On an equirectangular map, you can make a graticule by simply creating a gridline that is twice as many squares wide as it is high, see attachments: the first is a stretched version of your map into equirectangular, the second is a sinusoidal projection, and a third is a vertical perspective "as seen from space" projection to show the difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Equirectangularaltasil.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	12280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sinusoidalaltasil.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	12281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vertperspaltasil.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	12282  
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 04-11-2009 at 04:15 AM.

Wip

Well, I haven't fixed the projection, yet, but I did map out the rough precipitation for January and July. Some of it is a little iffy, but I figure I can fix most of the glaring issues when I do the climates/biomes.

Average precipitation over continents with temperature overlay over oceans:

January:

Name:	WIP A-0.4t 3000x1941 - JanRain.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	12329

July:

Name:	WIP A-0.4t 3000x1941 - JulRain.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	12330

-asp

EDIT: I kept working in patches today in between researching and a few other things, and blocked out some rough climatological regions. I think I have quite a few mistakes in here, as well, but I have a feeling I probably won't have much time to fix them until next weekend, so I'm posting what I have so far for feedback.

Name:	WIP A-0.5a - Loose Climates.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	12335
    The text overlay lists a rough Köppen Climate classification ID.
    For (relatively) quick reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6...classification

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 04-12-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Wip

Well, I finally decided I'd waited long enough to rough up my coasts a little bit. So, going back and finding RobA's "Not So Random Coastlines" tutorial, and adapting it to Photoshop as best as possible (to be honest, I was too lazy to pull up Gimp, heh), I tried to rough up my coasts a little and make them look a little more realistic.

'New' Continent forms:

Name:	WIP A-0.5b 3000x1941 - Continent (New).JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	605.4 KB 
ID:	12573

For comparison, here is the same image with the old outline visible:

Name:	WIP A-0.5b 3000x1941 - Continent Outlined.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	668.7 KB 
ID:	12572

And for fun and an idea, here are the new continents coloured green, with the rough mountain guides visible:

Name:	WIP A-0.5b 3000x1941 - Continent Green.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	904.2 KB 
ID:	12574

The southern continent needs much more work, still, but I'm reasonably happy with the middle continent and the northern continent is passable due to the large amounts of ice for much of the year (that's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it!). I might do some more work on the Southern Continent tonight, but it's not very likely. Hopefully I'll have more in a few days, though, as I steal some time for it. I haven't decided how much I'm changing the northern continent beyond this, yet. Time will tell.

-asp

Looking really good

Keep going please despite the brain pain i know it must be causing (mine has currently melted )

Korba

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I love RobA's not so random coastline tutorial. (...)
    So do I! I'd thought about something roughly similar before seeing his, but hadn't the foggiest how to pull it off, until I saw his tutorial. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of detail I was getting with my continents, without losing things like the strait between the two northern continents, and all my island chains. So what I ended up doing was running the process with a relatively low gaussian blur (as I was using Photoshop), to rough them up just slightly. And then in the locations where I wanted/needed a little more variety, I ran a rough lasso selection around them, feathered it so as to blend, and rendered Photoshop's Difference Clouds on top of the clouds (I forget the Gimp analog, but I seem to remember there being one).

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    (...) Looking to see how you are going to develop the mountain spines!
    So am I! I haven't the foggiest how I'm going to do them, yet; I'm still deciding. I'll probably fly by the seat of my pants for a while - life's more fun that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Korba View Post
    Looking really good

Keep going please despite the brain pain i know it must be causing (mine has currently melted )

Korba
    It's actually not as melted from the map as I expected, but I'm definitely melting my brain with all this in conjunction with my schoolwork. It might be a couple weeks before I post here, again. I have a rather sizeable paper due in my music lit class in just under two weeks, I believe, and it is past crunch time. But then, I'm just crazy enough to pull it off if I gun for it, I think. Only time will tell.

-asp

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast