Thread: Noname Map- WIP

Wip Noname Map- WIP

So here is a map I am working on for an interactive fiction I am planning on doing. It's still very much a work-in-progress and I have no name for the world as yet, but I wanted to stop lurking so much and start participating in this community.

World was made in Fractal Terrains Pro then ripped from there and worked on in Photoshop CS3.

This is the result of an afternoon's work. I am rather slow and new at this; this is my first proper map.

Climates Top-to-Bottom
    Green- Taiga (Cold)
    Brown- Steppe (Cold)
    Sandy Golden- Desert (Arid, Temperate)
    Brown- Steppe/Grassland (Temperate)

Mountain Brushes by Wag! Thanks a lot, Wag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StoryMapClimateStartingPoint3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	605.1 KB 
ID:	15800  
    Last edited by nutranurse; 08-11-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like the looks of that. Good shape to it (and why do I always feel like I'm talking about women when I say that? ).

When you say the middle, yellow band is desert, you don't mean the area west of those mountains right? Because that would be a little odd with all those rivers flowing through it.

Well, I also meant that area, but it's more along the lines of if the Nile were multiple rivers and had a lot of flood plains. You think I should change the designation?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think if you've got that many Nile-like rivers in one area, it's gonna tend to change the climate/terrain somewhat. Of course, it depends on what scale this is all in. If each one of those rivers is hundreds of miles apart, it may not make much difference; the land in between could still be desert.

I checked the distance between the rivers: they are very far apart, they just look closer.

I touched up on a few more details and blended in the southern mountain range, but kept the northern one pinkish because I am using that to designate that area as alpine in nature.

Compass, western sea monster, and city icons by StarRaven, thanks a bunch.

Name:	Story Map 3.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	745.8 KB 
ID:	15804  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

It is coming along very nicely

I have cropped the image to the western coast as I am mainly dealing with the cities on that side. I was trying to change the area west of the southern mountain range into something not desert, like a semi-arid grassland, but that would require me to redo the entire layer and.. well.. I am not too thrilled about that so I am just leaving it as a desert with rivers+flood plains.

Red letter Zurik is the capital of the empire, font used is Ame found on dafont.com, do you guys think it fits? I am going for a vaguely Indian/Sumer feel.

I also need to remember to increase the resolution some time.

Name:	Story Map- Empire Territories copy.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	689.1 KB 
ID:	15817