Thread: Help with terrain maps

Post Help with terrain maps

Hi all,

I've got a problem with getting some terrain-map i created in Bryce, into a 3D game. As you can see in the picture below, you can see in the center part my height in the terrain map is terraced, i mean, it has a certain great value, and then it suddenly changes to a next value. I'd like to smooth that out. I've been playing around in Gimp & Photoshop, but i can get it smoothed. Given the amount of talent that visits here, i thought i might well ask for help here.

thanks
    badger

Try switching to 16bit mode and doing a blur or something. Then switch back to 8bit. Just an idea.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Personally, I never had any luck blurring something like this...it just extends the terrace outward. I never tried 16 bit mode though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Working with a jpeg leaves something to be desired....

but I pulled it into wilbur, selected the lowlands with the magic wand, then ran the deterrace filter, added 1% noise then deterraced again.

Here is the 16 bit png.

(also zipped, as I'm not sure if the forum supports 16 bit)

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deterraced.png 
Views:	520 
Size:	970.0 KB 
ID:	11889  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Badger,

Did you mess with Image->Adjustments->Levels in PS?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

The heightmap was actually created in Bryce & exported to a jpg file. As RobA suggested, i'll try an export to bmp, might yield better result.

Will try it later tonight.

B

i see, yet the current image doesn't use the full range of grays.

I might get this to work by adjusting the levels, so the entire range from pure black to pure white gets uses. Any pointers on smoothing the histogram when i do that?

thanks
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    i see, yet the current image doesn't use the full range of grays.

I might get this to work by adjusting the levels, so the entire range from pure black to pure white gets uses. Any pointers on smoothing the histogram when i do that?

thanks
    B
    OK. Here is the 8 bit deterraced png from wilbur. This should be stretched the whole range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8bit_deterraced.png 
Views:	574 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	11912

-Rob A>