Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Killin Time

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip Just Killin Time

A lil something I've been doing just to kill time until the next challenge comes out while I try to find motivation to finish a couple of my more labor intensive recent stuff. No real goal other than to do anything other than just watch tv and clean my house. I had planned for it to be some sort of Dwarf Lands thing so I made many mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4a.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	11885  
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-30-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I love the little symbols - and the colour schemes a good one too. Very nice!

I'm a big fan of the color, but the mountains don't look very...mountainous...they seem to lack elevation. I just fixed this problem in one of my own maps, lol.

Great as everything by Ascension

I agree with Nerdling, mountains don't really seem to be high... rather like small snowy bumps.

Really love the map, although the regions do seem to be a bit unclear. The colours tend to blur into the mountains, especially the purple and the green boundaries.

I really like the texture of the mountains and the oceans. Was this done with the cloud layer effect? (I'm still getting to grips with PS's helluva learning curve).

John

I think I finally see what you're saying about the mountain height. I'll get crackin on that tonight so that I don't have to do any more labeling for a while.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I think I finally see what you're saying about the mountain height. I'll get crackin on that tonight so that I don't have to do any more labeling for a while.
    Label-hater!!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ok, here's something better...I think. I thought the mountains were too black and white and although I am going for something less colorful and more towards the gray side, it was too much. I added some brown in and a big ole emboss and I think it looks mucho bettero. The second shows redone country borders which, I think, show much better; as well as the labels and roads so far. The font is Washington Text at 3, 3.5, and 4 points with 75 tracking. I've got some labels overlapping, will fix asap.

Views:	48 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	11934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-4b.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	11935  
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-31-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Labeling mostly done...got all the cities and sites n stuff using Water's Gothic. Will label mountains and rivers and such tomorrow in a different, more basic font since the general mood has been established. May redo the Washington Text with Water's but not sure. Names all come from my head in a simple, evocative manner. For example, for the red country I just thought of "things that are red" like blood, hell, skin rash, etc. Those kinds of words carry a great deal of baggage so any back story of the place is inferred without having to write some lengthy history. Laceration Castle infers all sorts of gruesome tortures for those wicked enough to imagine them. Fun to name things this way.

Views:	55 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	11938  

Blog Entries

Not sure whether "Vomit" or "Ironarse" is my favourite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast