Thread: WIP - Ardanin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP - Ardanin

I'm working on a new map, mostly to try some new things & gain some more experience. For the texture I tried for a 'papery' effect, but with a little more colour. I don't know yet if I will make the colours browner yet, if I do I'll probably do it in the end. I'm happy with what I've got so far, but somehow the map still feels a bit 'empty'... Any tips on that?
    Just for the record, only the big rivers were drawn, smaller ones are invisible (I've been debating on leaving it that way or not. Problem is I'm not sure whether I can repeat the process used before )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ardanin.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	11923  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For filling up the emptiness, try adding country borders, cities, towns, roads, dungeons sites, labels for things like Spooky Forest, Big Arse Mtns, River of Blue Water, etc. Colors look nice, all in all pretty nice. Only 3 things I might fiddle with: break up the forest outline a little...looks kind of orderly; add some brown to the mountains, and add some variation of color to the grass (lighter green for higher land and darker green for lower, maybe some yellow or tan splotches for plains). Like I said, looks pretty nice so keep up the good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

NymTevlyn

I'd try to find a less busy texture for your mountains as well. Something more random with lines and ridges instead of holes. I'd share the patterns I used for my mountains, but I can't give away what makes my maps unique! Especially since I hope to be able to accept commissions someday.

I agree about the mountains. They are a little to rough right now, but the rest of the map is looking good!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking pretty good so far - I'll second Ascensions suggestions for 'filling things in'.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

First of all, thanks for all the suggestions. This is what I have so far. I don't know yet if I'll do more work on it, but I wanted to show the result of the suggestions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ardanin klein.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	14296  

Lookin really nice, the colors are great. What font is that? I don't think that I've ever seen it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Thanks

I had to search through my fonts for that (I have to many ), but I found it. It's called 'True love's Kiss', based on the movie Enchanted. You can find it here:
    http://lathronaniron.deviantart.com/...-Font-76403453

Thanks, man. I have more fonts in storage than in my windows/fonts folder so I know it can be a chore to search thru them so I really appreciate it.