Thread: Paizo Publishing to Cease Publication of Dragon and Dungeon

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Paizo Publishing to Cease Publication of Dragon and Dungeon

I know this isn't really a news site, but in case you haven't been paying attention. A major announcement was made today by Wizards of the Coast that Paizo Publishing will cease to publish both Dragon and Dungeon Magazines after the September issues. Sad if you ask me...but Wizards of the Coast seems to have a plan.

Here's a link to the press release.
    http://paizo.com/dragon/news/pressRe.../v5748eaic9kh0
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Post crap news

too bad i love both of those mag's
    i am sure it is some marketing scheme from wotc to sell there new online service instead of the mags...

thats my geuss anyways

Post I thought that already happened...?

Announcement for cease of publication of Dragon and Dungeon magazines was back in May 2007 - reiterated during Gencon. In fact I thought that the cessation was for August 2007 and that it already happened.

I wasn't aware that these mags were still being published - I haven't looked at one in over ten years. I was planning to use their advertising, when I got the news.

I had heard they were going to an online format - whatever that means.

The buyer at Paizo had given me the heads-up, and when I seen him at Gencon he was still pretty shook up about it. Like WotC sprung this as a not so nice surprise.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by lobsternooberg View Post
    too bad i love both of those mag's
    i am sure it is some marketing scheme from wotc to sell there new online service instead of the mags...

thats my guess anyways
    That's basically true. Wizards did not renew Paizo's license for Dungeon and Dragon, but did let them keep it long enough to wrap up the popular Savage Tide adventure path.

You can get a (free) digital copy of Dragon #360 and Dungeon #151 on Wizards website. Same name, many of the same features, but these are made entirely by Wizards (and freelancers) rather than Paizo. I believe at some point Dungeon and Dragon are going to a paid subscription. Paizo has launched several other products that are doing well, so I'm not worried about them anymore.

I really miss Dragon. I guess the last shreds of D&D is finally dead so far as new stuff is concerned.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The announcement was made back in may, lobster bumped the thread...note the post date of the original post.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Post sorry !!!!!

new to this forum ...... didn't mean to put myself in the top spot there....

though i may have done it again

i am sure i will be getting a stern reprimand from the admin