Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback for new mapper

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Two things; 1 welcome. 2 your rivers need to be more squiggly. C it is perfectly clear to me. 82cpartV nice job so far.
    Squiggly rivers... check.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thirdtry Map1.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	650.6 KB 
ID:	11947  

Nice map Michaelk

I presume you are going from the dark areas (uplands) and across the plains and through a desert area so a couple of tips.

Upland rivers tend to be quite straight so less squiggles as the water enters a flatter area it begins to meander so this will be the area to have large bends and turns like this Nice Example.

My second suggestion would be to vary the size of you river slightly so make the rivers at the start smaller and then get larger as the streams merge. You can then also reduce the size of the river as is crosses the desert area as water is lost to evaporation.

Just my 2-cents but for me it would make the river system look more realistic.

Korba

Quote Originally Posted by Korba View Post
    as the water enters a flatter area it begins to meander so this will be the area to have large bends and turns like this Nice Example.
    Damn. Now that's what I call meandering.

My second suggestion would be to vary the size of you river slightly so make the rivers at the start smaller and then get larger as the streams merge. You can then also reduce the size of the river as is crosses the desert area as water is lost to evaporation.
    Good ideas.

Thankyou, rivers are difficult. I think you've got some good ideas here, so I'll look into implementing them.

Also, unrelated to that, I've been fooling around with the larger regional map and made something a bit fun. Less functional perhaps, but pretty (I think it looks like a souvenir fridge magnet personally).

Name:	erad_artistic.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	11951  
    Last edited by Michaelk; 04-02-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korba View Post
    Thankyou for the advice. I've just given it another try and I hope it's worked out well. I'll admit, it does look a lot better to me after implementing your suggestions.

Name:	Fourthtry Map1.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	648.3 KB 
ID:	11958  
    Last edited by Michaelk; 04-02-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You left out one other adjective...awesome. Fridge magnet or not it looks colorful and fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12