Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Abebe

Post Abebe

Abebe is my world in progress.

I thought I'd create a thread about it specifically (though it has been featured in my other threads).

I'm experimenting with a google-map style method of sharing my work. Until this morning it's worked perfectly - but if it just gives you a grey screen, just refresh until it works. See if you can get a beat going, as it makes the activity more fun I think it may be a bandwidth issue -it lets one person at a time look at the maps on the site total- so usually won't be a problem.

Anyway, here is my current version of "Abebe".

http://www.davidpiercey.com/maps/abebe/
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 04-01-2009 at 03:35 PM.

And the first thing I notice ... a pair of river's I forgot to fix! (Though to the fabled river police, I'm sure there are many many many more.)

Nice, though I guess it's mainly generated? The rivers look kinda binary in places, and of course using a fractal terrain generator gives you mountains placed smackdab, but good start, all in all.

It is generated, with a few adjustments...I doubt I'll be changing that at this point, though, as it fits with my world mythos.

...which I'll have to dig up and share...and welcome any logical/consistency/realm of possibility suggestions
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 04-01-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Circumference – 42049.624km

Notes:

• Mining Distribution (relative to Earth):
    o Metal +120%
    o Radioactive +217%
    o Precious +164%
    o Crystal +135%
    o Gems +240%

• Populations have developed with high mutation resistance as a whole.
    • Genetically, a recessive gene interacts with biological/chemical/genetic triggers causing evolutionary jumps
    o 1/10000 have a potential interaction based on random population distribution
    o Evolutionary jumps may be almost anything
    o Evolutionary jumps can vanish in the next generation depending on parental genetics etc – in fact, they are likely to vanish due to the recessive nature of the gene
    o This gene interacts, potentially, with every other gene in the body
    o Differences are typically manifested from conception forward as opposed to some spontaneous change; exceptions to this are those changes that occur due to hormonal changes in the body (i.e., puberty, menopause)
    • Mating of carriers, particularly those with related evolutionary changes, can produce offspring who demonstrate those evolutionary jumps in even more pronounced ways

History:
    o Lived in small groups dominated by the strongest, who took what they want, leaving less and less for those lower down the line; in one community one man challenged for dominance, but upon winning, didn't keep everything, but shared out equal amounts to all in the community, fighting off first one, then another challenger, though with more of the community supporting him one by one. The value of community, equality, etc became dominant.
    o One wise woman, seeing the start of a new era, made a mark of the first day...and she and her descendents continued to make marks each day....
    o Spread across the NE corner of main continent over next 4000 years
    o Onset of new era with people living longer, working together, being safe

• 50-250
    o Art began to develop around the calendar, long strips covering years and years, as weather, the phases of the moon(s?), sun, and close planets are added.

o Recognizes patterns of seasons over last 200 years

o First form of alphabet to record sounds created, up until now, symbols used for calendars, but not for recording spoken word, etc
    o

• 4023 (recorded history)
    o live in small communities of a few hundred each
    o NE corner of main continent
    o essentially an isolation
     mountains to the east
     have not made move to waterways or oceans for transportation or food
     non-aggressive wildlife trapped with them at this stage
    o total population is ~300 000
    o till now, evolutionary jumps in population have either died in childbirth or gone unnoticed due to minimal nature
    o nature of population as a whole is oriented toward community and mutual support, violence between communities is very rare – partly because of distances involved, and partly because of homogeneity of population
    o economic focus
     agricultural
     arts
     education
     trade between nearby communities
    o population well versed in basic breeding of animals and plants to develop certain genetic lines, though they don't understand the reason for it
    o they also understand the need for healthy "breeding" in that if they mix different populations of animals (in the same "line") the offspring are usually healthier than their parent groups
     they don't associate this fact consciously with people, though it does affect their society
    o different communities gather for festivals
     focussed on diversifying genetic stock and trade of specific lines of domesticated flora and fauna
     also focussed on youth meeting new people from outside their communities to form family units, typically the male will move to the new community, though this is not always the case; it depends on the relationships formed and who is involved
    • this is one way in which the communities sub-consciously maintain healthy genetic diversity within small relatively isolated communities

• Average lifespan at this time 45 years for women and 43 for men
    • Community structure
    o Government?
     Not specifically elected, elders, who consult with members of the community, present their suggestions in community forums, and adult members of the community find concensus.
     Those who cannot live with choices made (very rare) are free to leave the community if they choose, and are welcome back openly if they find they change their mind
     Men and women, alike, are members of government
    o Writing
     A form of writing, based on 52 sounds of the common language, has been developed.
    o Calendar
     From simple marks on "calendar" rocks, to the presently complex system of understanding the constellations etc, the people have recorded their history for 4023 years at this stage
    o Family unit?
     Not just 1 man+1 woman (typically involve, though, 2-6 adults with some degree of shared physical or emotional intimacy)
     Each woman who chooses to have children, will have between 4 and 8 children in a lifetime
     Chance of mother dying during or after childbirth, 15%.
     Chance of child dying during or immediately after childbirth, 25% (3 to 6 children / woman's life)
     Of those children who survive childbirth, 85% survive the first year (2.6 to 5.1 children / woman's life)
     Children who survive past their first year, have a 90% change of reaching adulthood (2.3 to 4.6 children/ woman's life)
     Each woman, thus, produces 3.45 children who live through adulthood, on average, resulting in a slow but definite population increase.
     Women are marriageable from the onset of their fertility cycle (16 +/- 2 yrs)
    o Homosexuality
     not common (5.8% of population)
     not specifically taboo
     accepted as physical intimacy for physical pleasure and for emotional bonding
     Those individuals not wishing to have offspring are required, by the community, to contribute in some other way (?), but this is not seen as a hardship, merely a different way to contribute
    o Physical deformities
     Very rare (more common in the more remote communities)
     Almost always die in childbirth or shortly after
     Considered to be cursed (typically because they almost always die very young)
    o Mental challenges
     Very rare (more common in the more remote communities)
     Treated with great care and affection
     Ways they can contribute to community in a positive way are sought after
     Not coddled, but protected, and treated with their mental challenge under consideration
     Loved
     Not viewed as cursed, but as special, able to understand, perhaps, parts of the world we cannot
     Not seen as a burden on a community
    o Economy
     Markets based on barter economy
     Trade between communities at regular seasonal gatherings
     No formal currency
    o Education / Religion
     Belief in the power of the moons, the planets, the sun, and the stars
    • More the belief that these extra-physical (to the population) objects affect the seasons etc. Than in some deity.
     Belief in natures ability to change
    • Seen in domesticated animals
    o Knowledge used to help develop new strains/breeds
    • Not seen yet in people (outside of what would be human norm for diversity in an isolated region)
    • They speak of a mother planet giving birth and fruit to all life
    • They view the moon as a sister planet
    • They view the stars and their sun as male figures, sharing the seeds of life with the mother figures
    • Nature is powerful
     People are different/separate from animal life and flora
    • They don't spontaneously change/show big differences in their offspring as animals do
    • They can speak aloud and have language
    • While consciously, they don't breed people for health etc, the society does this through their festivals and movement of individuals to new communities.
    • Semi-formal education
    o Toddlers
     Spend most of time with family (at and around home, community)
    o 3-6
     Spend time with family
     Spend time with elders
     Spend time in social groups exploring inside community
     Watched by community as a whole and kept safe near home
    o 6-10
     Spend time with family
     Spend time with elders
     Spend time working with different "experts" in community
    • Develop basic range of skills and knowledge so that they may make a more effective choice about what they will "do"
    • Both share and gather knowledge from those outside family unit
    o 10-12
     Some "bordering" is often arranged with related family units in other communities
     Continuing 6-10 education which is more and more hands on and adult-like in nature
    o 12+
     Join adults in study and work in areas of speciality (if any)

 Learning more, sharing history, knowledge, etc, is lifeline pursuit
    o Social welfare
     Barring the mentally infirm (rare), people are expected to pull their weight etc. And while life isn't easy, it's not challenged by strife or dangerous animals or the need to hunt. The cultivation of crops etc can feed the population, even in a poor harvest year
     Those who elect not to work after childhood, don't eat.

• LANGUAGE
    o ~60 phonetic sounds used to express oral language
    o ~12 inflections added to modify message (clarify punctuation)
     Statement
     Exclamation
     Question
     Not (negation of statement)
     etc
    o writing
     initially a few hundred symbol for words and ideas, hieroglyphs
     as the "calendar" method of research/experimentation/documentation became more recognized, one individual began to examine the sounds that made up their language and over his/her life identified 60 sounds, making spelling of words completely phonetic.
     The next generation in that family continued the study, defining a further 60 symbols to represent the oral inflections, number system (base 12) and time
     3 more generations tested and refined the system before the community brought it to the next community fairs to present and share
     Over the next 400 years, the characters and symbols were adopted by every community, and remained the only non hieroglyphic writing amongst the people

• Pre 0
    o Oral traditions roughly associated with time
    o Basic farming and domestication of animals begun
    o Pottery
    o Beginning of recorded history/time – marks on rocks to mark the passing of years
    o Basic understanding of seasons
    • Wheel/axel
    • Paper
    • Saddle
    • Glass

o

o In one small community, a child is born who's skin glows slightly in the dark. There is a fight within the community, with some feeling she is the incarnation of the mother moon, and brings good fortune, while others decrying her mutation as a curse. A fight ensues, and the child is murdered, the community destroyed, with the few survivors (including her parents) fleeing.
    o In another small community, quite distant, another child is born who's skin, at the onset of puberty, changes to a brilliant orange. As the community knows this child, he is not shunned, but a matter of curiosity, much as a mutation in some strain of plant or breed of animal may. This difference, doesn't stop this child from forming a relationship within his community (though he is shunned outside it), and his offspring do not show any sign of his change. This community, though, moves along a new path, but becomes more separated from the nearby communities based on beliefs....

o Three separate belief structures and societies begin to develop

 Study of nature, science, etc, and belief that those people who mutate are merely different
    • attempts to "breed" aren't too successful on the surface (but relationship is suspected)
    • begin to view people as a mere extension of humans

 Belief that mutations in people are a curse/disease/horrible, and that these children should be struck down at birth
    • People, as they are "now" are perfect. They've never changed and never should.
    • Belief that one male and one female god existed and that people are their offspring, from thousands of generations before.
    • These gods are long gone, and it is our job to maintain their presence as it is seen today.

 Belief that those who show noticeable mutations are to be worshiped and held above normal men (this includes both "positive" and "negative" mutations)
    • Relationship of humans to nature not accepted – must be divinity, etc.

DAY's / year

• 12 months
    • 43 days/month
    • 6 weeks/month + 1 Month End day
    • 7 days / week
    • every 3 years, the end of their is a 2 day special celebration around at the beginning of a new "cycle" which realigns calendar with solar year
    • cycles -> similar to chinese years (but every 3 years)
    • each day is made up of 12 hours, with 12 minutes, 12 seconds, 12 .... Needing names though

Base 12 system
    Count:
    • 0 both hands together in fists
    • 1 one closed fist held forward
    • 2 one fist held 1 finger out
    • 6 one hand, all fingers splayed
    • 7 one hand one fist
    • 8 one hadn one fist one finger
    • 12 two hands

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

hmmm...for some reason I don't see your map when I click on the link in your first post. Are you using some special viewer or something?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast