Thread: Greetings

Post Greetings

Hi everyone, just peeked in here. I just bought older editions of Fractal Terrains and CC2 and plan to get help here learning how to use them effectively. My husband and I already use Illustrator and Photoshop for temporary mapping of small areas (for gaming) and brainstorming, but I want to map out my planet and gradually work up the cities, roads, etc. so I can make a sensible whole out of the little bits I've thought up. So my interest is mainly from a fantasy/gaming worldbuilding standpoint. I'm an artist and a historian though, so I'd prefer to not only be effective at the software use, but also get into customizing the appearance of my final product with an eye toward older map drawing styles. I'm sure I'll learn lots here.

Welcome to the guild!

Been a bit since I used CC2 but the commands are identical to CC3 so shout out if you need help with anything. You can even use the CC3 tutorials I have written ignoring anything that refers to sheet effects.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks, both! I'm sure I'll be needing plenty of help-s'pose eventually I'll want upgraded versions of the programs, but it costs a lot. We'll see how I can do with the older ones first. I haven't gotten them yet in the mail so I haven't looked yet, but I imagine I can make my own textures and symbols and stuff? I hope so.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to The Guild. The first thing is to go thru the tutorials just to get yourself acclimated. The next best thing to do is just draw up something, post it up, then you will get all sorts of pointers.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Welcome to the guild.

For worldbuilding, take a look at Viewingdale. Works for me.
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...y=main&sx=1024
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.