Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Introducing Hexographer: Hex maps made easy

Guild Novice

SowelBlack,

I just recently came across your software and love what it does so far, and am looking forward to the listed improvements. Last year (on this forum) I listed a job that I was interested in hiring somebody to do, but your software looks like it will do that nicely, when complete. I am really looking forward to being able to turn those hexes by 90 degrees

Thanks,

Craig J. Brain

I've made an enhancement so the hexes can be turned 90 degrees. You can now to orient the map in a "true columns" way (so the hexes form columns--the way it was before) or as "true rows." (If you have a better idea for how to name these two map orientations please let me know.)

There's an option on the initial Hexographer program window (the one that runs in the browser) to switch between these two map orientations. When maps are saved, this property is recorded so when you reload the map it will be set appropriately. You can also switch this property when you are viewing a map by going to the "Options" menu and choosing one of the "Hex Orientation" options. (But I wouldn't recommend it for maps that already have lines drawn. The change will cause those lines to not match up with your terrain.)

I've also added a "pan" button in the bottom left corner that allows a user to easily drag the map to move it and replaced a few of the text buttons with icons.

Also, previously I added a feature so hexes can be customized. The icon in a hex can be resized relative to the hex's size or the icon can even be turned off and the background color can be changed.

Here's the link since the old one is a couple of pages back: Hexographer

Just posting about another update:

I've really re-worked the Hexographer's UI. I always hated having to arbitrarily divide up each tab and especially the terrain into forest/rough/other to fit in one single row of buttons for most screen sizes. I also think as things have evolved, the basic drawing tools on the bottom for lines and text should be integrated with most of the controls.

So I've created a side bar for all of those controls and grouped them a little more sanely. (IMO.) I've put them in tabs, and the tabs run along the right edge like a phone book. Originally I wanted each tab be a "drawer" (if you're familiar with that UI concept) but I had issues with the drawer objects that I was writing from scratch. So it will be tabs for now, until I find a better approach. (Or if someone suggests something that fires me up.) But love it, hate it, or like this but not that, let me know, please.

I also fixed a memory issue a couple of days ago.

Looks good! Keep it up... I'm looking at it for a warhammer campaign territory map or two...

Praise

I've mostly used the old school program Arr-kelaans hex mapper. The original download link is now gone. I really like this program and will be using it extensively in the future. Thanks so much for your hard work on this endeavor.
    Website & blog: Knightvisiongames.com
    Twitter: @kvgames

I've added another very cool (I think) feature to the Hexographer software.

I'm calling it the "Terrain Wizard." If you start with a blank map, you just rough in the map (draw a line of mountain hexes for a mountain range, a circle of forest hexes for a large forest, etc. Then the Terrain wizard will fill in the remaining blank hexes based on what non-blank terrain hex is closest.

Here's a link to a fuller description, example & instructions:
    Terrain Wizard for Hexographer

Well, since I can't rep you for that, as I haven't been repping enough, I'll just have to say that's pretty awesome.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll beat him with my 'rep' cudgel for you Isomage... *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's gonna be handy, especially for some ideas I'm tinkering with...

Post Hexographer free hex mapping software updated, pro version ready

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Several new features and bug fixes have been added to the core Hexographer software:

• The random terrain generator has been significantly reworked so the resulting terrain is less random.
    • The random terrain generator process is explained by clicking "Help" once you've opened the custom random terrain settigns screen by clicking the "Custom Terrain" button on the start screen of the applet.
    • A number of small usability fixes have been made, such as some customization screens getting close, apply, and save buttons.

And the "Pro" version can now be ordered. For just $5 for a 1-year license of $25 for a lifetime license, the pro version allows you to:
    • Run off-line: The pro version is downloaded to your computer so you don't need to be connected to the internet.
    • Customize terrain and feature icons: Use any .png image for the terrain and feature icons. (Go to the map edit window's "Options" menu and choose "Customize Hexes.") Both the pro and non-pro versions allow you to change the background color of each terrain type, the sizes of terrain or feature icons, or whether to display icons or not.
    • Expand an existing map: Add (or subtract) a number of hex rows or columns above, below, to the right or to the left of an existing map. (Go to the map edit window's "Options" menu and choose "Expand/Shrink Number of Hexes.")
    • Add detailed notes to a hex: Any hex can now be described in detail with a freeform text field. Adding a note to a hex adds a small rectangular marker to the map. Clicking it will pop open the note for further editing or just to read it. (The note markers can be turned off using the map edit window's "Show/Hide" menu and selecting/deselecting the "Notes on Map" menu item.)

Pro version maps can be read and edited by the free version of Hexographer, but the extra features are not available for further editing. (However, custom icons added using the pro version will be displayed by the free version.)

Read more about Hexographer, use the free version and see pro version ordering details at: Hexographer: Overview

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123