Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regional Map From Upcoming Novel Series

NymTevlyn

That kind of shading on mountains is best done with a tablet. I would kill my wrist trying to do that with a mouse heh.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's tedious even with my tablet...there's a whole lotta mountains
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Alright, here's version 3!

I took the advice given and have made the following changes in this version:

- Changed all the fonts to more a hand-written style, as well as applied a minor distortion to give the text even less uniformity.

- Modified the text effects to make the labels feel more like part of the map as opposed to a separate entity.

- Tweaked the color of lakes/rivers to match the sea.

- Added a sandstone overlay to both desaturate the colors even more and to add in some minor texture.

- Added in a crack to give the map an aged, worn feeling.

- Added in a lighting effect to give the map more character.

- Various other minor hue/contrast tweaks.

This version feels like an entirely different map to me. It was a little more difficult for me to work on, since pursuing this style was a venture outside of my normal style/comfort zone, but I listened to everyone's input and tried to accommodate accordingly. Plus I added in some cool effects like the lighting and the crack.

Once again, thanks in advance for any critique and pointers.

Regards,

- Auth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valcia Map V3 copy.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	12104  

Nice map, have some rep.

This map gets better with every incarnation!

I think this version is much grittier and has a darker mood than the previous versions, and the colours are spot on for making it look aged. I think you did the right thing listening to all the great advice, and have ended up with a 1st class map.

Your mountains are stunning, much more so now you have muted the sandstone effect and they can be seen clearly. If you could shade them in a similar way to Ascension's example I think it would make the map truly outstanding.

I don't have the technical skill to be able to advise you on this map, but from a layman's observations I think maybe a very slight dark glow or shadow on the city/ruin text would make it stand out. I just found some of it tricky to read where it almost merges with the light background.

Great work.

DMG

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by DungeonMasterGaz View Post
    This map gets better with every incarnation!

I think this version is much grittier and has a darker mood than the previous versions, and the colours are spot on for making it look aged. I think you did the right thing listening to all the great advice, and have ended up with a 1st class map.

Your mountains are stunning, much more so now you have muted the sandstone effect and they can be seen clearly. If you could shade them in a similar way to Ascension's example I think it would make the map truly outstanding.

I don't have the technical skill to be able to advise you on this map, but from a layman's observations I think maybe a very slight dark glow or shadow on the city/ruin text would make it stand out. I just found some of it tricky to read where it almost merges with the light background.

Great work.

DMG
    Thanks for the kind words. And in regards to the dark glow around the city texts, I actually originally had it that way, but i thought it may not look right so I took it out at the last minute, haha. Perhaps tomorrow I can put up the same version with the text outlined and see which version everyone likes more.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Auth; 04-07-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I'd definitely go back and add something of a glow to the labels, particularly in the Kingdom of Isteroth region, the Freeland of Amerys title, and the Kingdom of Erenon. The pale-colored labels mixed with a pale, sandy background make them hard to read in those areaa.

Anyway, it looks great. You've earned some rep!
    Last edited by Karro; 04-07-2009 at 10:31 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I'm in love with your colour palette. Simply gorgeous - have some rep!

And I can't wait until it's finished! It can't be far off!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Outstanding! I really liked the old color scheme but this one totally kicks. I'd add a thin stroke or glow of a dark brown in a few spot for the text but otherwise this looks done...and awesome. That light really adds something and the colors are smokin.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast