Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teston

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Map Teston

Well I think that I will call this map done. I started this map with pyrandon's Medieval Town Map tutorial, and went off track a bit I think. It was done in Gimp instead of Photoshop, so some of the techniques described in that tut had to be improvised in Gimp. Most notably the houses. Never did figure out how to apply a bevel to them, nor how to give them some height. I fiddled around to get what I got , but not really satisfied with them. (Also have forgotten just what I did to them exactly). I also had trouble with following the tut where the hill was concerned. Emboss and Bevel layer effects (actually layer effects in general) seems to be the major problem in translating Photoshop into Gimp.

Any way, This is Teston, a rocky outcropping in the middle of a large flood plain. At one point there was a major flooding of the plain due to the distant river (think along the lines of the St. Lawrence) overflowing its banks. The survivors flocked to the nearest high ground and waited out the flood. The flood lasted long enough that permanent structures were created and a village grew out of the refugee camp at the top of the hill. As the waters slowly receded, more buildings were added to the village further down the slope.

Over the years, the area around the village became more wooded as people started to return to the more fertile lands closer to the river. At this time Teston is a minor stopping point along a trading route between the more developed lands further south and the more populated areas to the north. It sits in an area well away from any real enemies, and continues to grow on the trade that passes through. It also has its own trade in lumber and and a hunting/trapping community, and enjoys the peace of being left alone for the ost part.

For now.

I actually like the way it turned out, but I wish I could have figured out how to add cliffs to parts of the river banks. The WIP thread is here = http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4331
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestonrF.png 
Views:	796 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	12049  
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I love it. It's a wonderful artistic painted map of a town that wasn't painted at all. The terrain is great and the colors are pleasing. I hope you do more like this.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A map of the Siege of Teston will be forthcoming at some point. No Idea when, but I do have ideas on what I want to do with it.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Post Fine Work

Teston is a fine example of translating Photoshop tuts to GIMP, and also the reason I began examining Pyrandon's tut myself. (You've had more success with his tut than I have, but you started this map with it, maybe my next go will be better). I think it turned out well.

Sorry if this comes a little late, as we are in finished maps forum, but bevel and emboss function under layer tab> layer effects with your buildings selected, inner bevel, size large enough to cover your buildings (each 1 = 1 pixel into your buildings from all sides, so half your largest building will do), angle (looks like your sun is at 1:30 so -15 degrees) will give your roofs peaks, shadows and highlights on appropriate sides.

I'd rep ya again in gratitude, but apparently I haven't been generous enough since the last time I repped you.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Yep, it turned into a very fine map. And as I said before, looking forward to the siege map. But hey, I am a decent enough fellow... take your time
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Feralspirit View Post
    Sorry if this comes a little late, as we are in finished maps forum, but bevel and emboss function under layer tab> layer effects with your buildings selected, inner bevel, size large enough to cover your buildings (each 1 = 1 pixel into your buildings from all sides, so half your largest building will do), angle (looks like your sun is at 1:30 so -15 degrees) will give your roofs peaks, shadows and highlights on appropriate sides.
    Isn't this in Photoshop? Or is it in a plug in? I just got the Eye candy plugin for Gimp, and a bevel is in there, but Layer Effects in not a basic Gimp function afaik. If there is a plugin for them, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks for the comments folks

I love the map - and I love the way your buildings look. To me, the fit in well with the style of the map. And here I am, now having to look up another tutorial to learn more!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great work Korash! *bonk*

Looking forward to the 'siege' map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I *love* the atmosphere of the map. It's one of the very few in which I get the sense that we're seeing the location at a particular time of day. It looks like twilight at the end of a brooding, overcast afternoon just before something dramatic happens. Very cool.
    "The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

I am noticing, though, if you're picky, that the shadows aren't consistent. Sometimes the appear to be coming from different directions (looking along rivers, etc).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast