Thread: Layer Effects in GIMP

Info Layer Effects in GIMP

So, after a short discussion with Korash, (and a quick search of the forum), I realized that not everybody may know about Layer effects in GIMP. I downloaded version 2.6.4 just over two months ago, I think. Korash said he had version 2.6.3 and did not have layer effects. From what I've gathered, the effects still do not quite stand up to Photo-Shop's, but I've made use of a few, and found them really handy. Below is a screen-shot displaying the menu. To my recollection, this list did not change after I downloaded Photo-Shop plugins, whose menu appears in a different place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Layer Effects Screen Shot.png 
Views:	363 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	12054

It never occured to me that earlier versions did not have these, or I'd have said something sooner. I feel compelled to repeat, these are not the same as photo-shop layer-effects (as I am still unable to follow exact instructions from Photo-Shop geared tuts..., ok, that might be a personal failure), but may close to approximating them.
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 04-05-2009 at 12:40 AM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

I have 2.6.4, and I don't have that in my Layers menu. Have you installed plugins or scripts? Those can modify your menu items.

Anyhow, are these layer effects destructive? They're doing some sort of new system for GIMP that has nondestructive layer effects and stuff like that, and there's a GUI redesign project going on too! So, exciting days ahead. Too bad gimp.org doesn't load for me at the mo.

Curses! Yes. More than I've kept track of. But not too many. My scripts folder has 7 files, none of which look like they're responsible for these... My plug-in folder is showing only PSPI (thought I had more than that.) I'm sorry, Naeddyr and all. Perhaps someone else knows where these options have come from.

Found this. http://registry.gimp.org/taxonomy/term/239

That must be it, layerfx.py, as I can preview (at the cost of crashing or freezing, in most cases, but that may be due to my computer being as old as it is).

Destructive, no, not so far. The ones I've used Generate new layers, (option to merge unchecked) sometimes the functions actually double the size (memory) of my working file (or more).

Sorry again, it must have been one of the first things I got, because I don't remember it ever not being there.
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 04-05-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Post *blush*

lol, when it became clear that it wasn't simply a difference of one version to the next, I knew I wasn't clever enough to have found them on my own. Feel free to delete this thread.