Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New website - testing please

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I don't know, probably just me. As I said above its a great tool and makes things immensely easier to maintain/change. But for some reason anytime I have to create/edit a CSS file it just irritates me, like finger nails on a chalkboard.

I guess I'm just weird that way...what do you expect from someone who turns a warforged into the easter bunny!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well that does take a steampunk fetish to places best left untouched...

I agree about the css though. It's a great tool, but it is less that intuitive. Perhaps that's just because my editors don't have syntax highlighting for css. I should sort that out.

Very attractive site for your very attractive work! ::thumbs up::
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev
    The other nice thing about the robot.txt file (combined with info from webstats) is if you're getting hit by robots from dubious sites, you can ban those robots from accessing your site.
    Bad bots tend to ignore the robots.txt file. The best way to block bad bots is to IP ban them. If however it is a bunch of copies on different IPs you might have to contact your host about setting a limit on how many pages can be accessed by one IP in a given time period (bad bots like to spam page requests really fast).
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Bad bots tend to ignore the robots.txt file. The best way to block bad bots is to IP ban them. If however it is a bunch of copies on different IPs you might have to contact your host about setting a limit on how many pages can be accessed by one IP in a given time period (bad bots like to spam page requests really fast).
    Very true. I was going to mention about bad bots ignoring the robots.txt file but I figured I covered the basics and didn't want to get bogged down by technicalities. One can use the htaccess file to ban bots, IP addresses, and hot-linking (to name the top three) but that is probably getting a bit too technical for here.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123